Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: from the ground to my solution. Command line > super min X> XBMC HOWTO?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
ok my question is how do you go about setting up XBMC from the command line up ... by this i mean i have a box, has no GUI installed just clean basic install, i know i would have to install x server but do i have to install KDE or Gnome or anything like that? or could i boot to command line start an empty x server and then start xbmc? i cant / dont want one of the live distros , before anyont suggests thisl. Thanks for any imput. if any Sad
looking more to be walked through it even psuedo like.
PS i have seen this as well.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Ins...rom_source
bump
If you just have a minimal i.e. Ubuntu install, you'll need to install X and XBMC. For X and any drivers, the specific options will depend on your video chipset. For XBMC you may need to install python-software-properties and pkg-config. You'll also need to add the team-xbmc ppa to install XMBC.
Code:
sudo apt-get install python-software-properties pkg-config (not sure if the latter is needed anymore)
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc xorg

After this, you'll need chipset specific drivers e.g. nVidia, ATI, or Intel.

Post back if you need help from here.
to autostart you either go with a dm or do some custom stuff. Personally I am fine with using dm on a modern box with 2G memory. Altough it would be interesting to test if it adds any sec to boot. I am comfortable that it does not impact performance when booted.

in xbmcbuntu lightdm is used. If you install xbmc-standalone you get a xbmc session in lightdm. Then you google "lightdm autologin". For more features try gdm.

For the none dm way I think it is xinitrc that needs to go into the google.

If you are interested in the technical side of this please report back any findings.
(I am interested but I am fine with lightdm and a bit busy on the family side of things right now)