Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Upgrading xbmcbuntu
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi!

I know to do the apt-get update && apt-get upgrade on xbmcbuntu to upgrade the packages. However, if there has been fixes done to XBMC, would they be rolled into this? Would I have to upgrade to the development version to get the latest fixes (or problems)?

Thanks!
XBMCbuntu includes the xbmc repository. If another stable version were to be released (say... 11.1), "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade" would update xbmc as well. If you want the nightly builds you could add the unstable repository and disable the stable one (this is done via System Tools > Synaptic Package Manager > Settings > Repositories).
(2012-04-29, 22:37)wiz561 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi!

I know to do the apt-get update && apt-get upgrade on xbmcbuntu to upgrade the packages. However, if there has been fixes done to XBMC, would they be rolled into this? Would I have to upgrade to the development version to get the latest fixes (or problems)?

Thanks!

Hi wiz561,

if you experience freeze in current version, upgrade to the developer version of Linux (12.10) fix this. (see my signature)

Here's the link to that discussion http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=119855&page=7
Ah, Jan-Erik, you read my mind. I saw the 7 pages of posts there, and I was wondering if the fix will be rolled into the stable version of xbmc. I was a little leery about upgrading to 12.10, but it looks like that might be the fix. Argh...

I didn't see the link in your signature that says how to upgrade to 12.10. Are you just upgrading the kernel with dist-upgrade, or actually updating Ubuntu to 12.10?

Your best bet is to compile from git. This assumes you have an NVIDIA card:

do this stuff once:
Code:
sudo apt-get install git-core
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:team-xbmc/unstable
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
sudo apt-get install git-core make g++ gcc gawk pmount libtool nasm yasm automake cmake gperf zip unzip bison libsdl-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libsdl-gfx1.2-dev libsdl-mixer1.2-dev libfribidi-dev liblzo2-dev libfreetype6-dev libsqlite3-dev libogg-dev libasound2-dev python-sqlite libglew-dev libcurl3 libcurl4-gnutls-dev libxrandr-dev libxrender-dev libmad0-dev libogg-dev libvorbisenc2 libsmbclient-dev libmysqlclient-dev libpcre3-dev libdbus-1-dev libhal-dev libhal-storage-dev libjasper-dev libfontconfig-dev libbz2-dev libboost-dev libenca-dev libxt-dev libxmu-dev libpng-dev libjpeg-dev libpulse-dev mesa-utils libcdio-dev libsamplerate-dev libmpeg3-dev libflac-dev libiso9660-dev libass-dev libssl-dev fp-compiler gdc libmpeg2-4-dev libmicrohttpd-dev libmodplug-dev libssh-dev gettext cvs python-dev libyajl-dev libboost-thread-dev libplist-dev libusb-dev libudev-dev
sudo apt-get install autopoint libltdl-dev
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get build-dep xbmc

Note that the above will add the nvidia x-swat repo which will give you the most up to date nvidia drivers.

All that stuff above you should run once. The sudo as root so you're in a root shell (makes the next step easier):

this should also be only run once, the first time:
Code:
sudo su -- root
cd $HOME
git clone git://github.com/xbmc/xbmc.git xbmc
cd xbmc
service lightdm stop
./bootstrap
./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-vdpau --disable-pulse --disable-crystalhd
make
make install prefix=/usr
service lightdm start

Then to keep up to date:

Code:
sudo su - root
cd $HOME/xbmc
make distclean
git reset --hard
git clean -xfd
git pull --rebase
service lightdm stop
./bootstrap
./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-vdpau --disable-pulse --disable-crystalhd
make
make install prefix=/usr
service lightdm start
Ah,

no need to pannic :-)

See if you have a new boot option under "Previous Linux versions" with the upgraded Linux, looks like the upgrade make two boot options and the one ending in "generic-pae" break the system. Post #66 in the link I posted yesterday explain this
(2012-04-29, 23:01)wiz561 Wrote: [ -> ]Ah, Jan-Erik, you read my mind. I saw the 7 pages of posts there, and I was wondering if the fix will be rolled into the stable version of xbmc. I was a little leery about upgrading to 12.10, but it looks like that might be the fix. Argh...

I didn't see the link in your signature that says how to upgrade to 12.10. Are you just upgrading the kernel with dist-upgrade, or actually updating Ubuntu to 12.10?

Can't really say, I'm new to this thing, just have to count me lucky to have such good new friends here in the forum (and maybe lucky to find the remedy before I broke the system further)
blm14 - after using the code that you have provided, will that still keep all my xbmcbuntu settings intact and install the new xbmc versions? Just want a bit of clarity regarding that. Thanks.
As long as you install over your old version of xbmc which I believe is $HOME/xbmc. Also this just upgrades xbmc and leaves ubuntu alone.

I did:
Code:
$ make install DESTDIR=$HOME/xbmc
keep getting Could not find a required library. Please see the README for your platform. error
help?
I tried to upgrade like this and I get told I need OpenGL support. Using the .generic version rather than the pae does not help. I still get the same error.

Seem to have fucked my system so I need a reinstall. Sad boo