Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: AMD A6-3500 HTPC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After looking at different posts in the forum and exploring bit on newegg.com, I come up with this config:
https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySav...D=19173005

AMD A6-3500 Llano 2.1GHz (2.4GHz Max Turbo) Socket FM1 65W Triple-Core Desktop APU (CPU + GPU) with DirectX 11 Graphic
Scythe SCBSK-2100 120mm Sleeve BIG Shuriken 2 Rev. B CPU Cooler
ASRock A75M-ITX FM1 AMD A75 (Hudson D3) SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI Mini ITX AMD Motherboard
CORSAIR Vengeance 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Profile Desktop Memory Model CML4GX3M2A1600C9
Corsair Force Series 3 CSSD-F60GB3A-BK 2.5" 60GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
LIAN LI PC-Q07 Black Aluminum Mini-ITX Tower Computer Case
SeaSonic SS-300ET Bronze 300W ATX12V V2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - OEM

The case is bit small and doesn't have any fan, but I'd like a nice-looking case and a compact system as there are only few components here.
Planning to install Windows 8 RC (out next month) on it, to take advantage of hybrid boot: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/...ows-8.aspx
With SSD the system could boot up in couple of seconds.

Anyone see any potential issues with this config?

Thanks!
all looks good except SSD.

get CRUCIAL M4 or PATRIOT TORQX 2
(2012-05-07, 01:13)eskro Wrote: [ -> ]all looks good except SSD.

Thanks!

With 20$ more the SSD is 32GB larger and has much faster read/write speed. That's why I chose it.. But I am open to the Patriot one as well.
stay away from SandForced SSD's....

(2012-05-07, 01:51)eskro Wrote: [ -> ]get CRUCIAL M4 or PATRIOT TORQX 2

Nod I have both! One in each of my systems and I love them both! The Crucial seems a bit slower when writing large files to it but both boot amazingly fast (I've never had a system that booted in less than 2 minutes let alone the 20 seconds of these!) and there is no lag when navigating the menus in XBMC.
PATRIOT TORQX 2 boots at 20sec for me...
20sec boot is insane O.O
As I said, one reason I will install win8 on the machine is to make use of hybrid boot, which can literally boot the machine in 2-5s Big Grin
(2012-05-07, 10:02)tonni83 Wrote: [ -> ]As I said, one reason I will install win8 on the machine is to make use of hybrid boot, which can literally boot the machine in 2-5s Big Grin
I tried Windows 8, and it is good stuff....

When installing ATX PSUs in the PC-Q07, it covers the HSF for the PSU. I would check the clearance for the Shiruken tto make sure it will not interfere. It is very tight.

Alternately, you could get a picoPSU for the PC-Q07 and then get something like this (shown in the PC-Q07):

It makes a huge difference in heat and quiet.
(2012-05-07, 18:20)Dougie Fresh Wrote: [ -> ]When installing ATX PSUs in the PC-Q07, it covers the HSF for the PSU. I would check the clearance for the Shiruken tto make sure it will not interfere. It is very tight.

Alternately, you could get a picoPSU for the PC-Q07 and then get something like this (shown in the PC-Q07):

It makes a huge difference in heat and quiet.

Thanks for the reminder!

I just changed my mind to get LIAN LI PC-Q09FW: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6811112306
The white case looks so good. But it's sold out almost everywhere that I might to ask my parents to buy it in China..
What is that a picture of?? I think I may want one?