Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: tried a new skin and got a black screen, help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I tried out the metropolis skin today and it just makes xbmc go black. I can hear the clicking that occurs when going through the menus and what not but I can't see anything to switch skins again, any help please?
Which version of XBMC are you using... Mac, Win, XBMCbuntu? You will need to go to the addons folder, delete the folder with the new skin and restart XBMC... It should go back to Confluence.

I am on linux and i tried to find the skin in the xbmc folder but i didn't see any of the addon skins i have downloaded... I found the default confluence skin is there a way to revert to that through the files?
(2012-05-03, 20:23)crawl Wrote: [ -> ]If you don't want to lose some of your current settings, then transfer the guisettings.xml file to your desktop, open it in an editor, and look for the "lookandfeel" section:

Quote: <lookandfeel>
<enablerssfeeds>true</enablerssfeeds>
<font>Default</font>
<rssedit></rssedit>
<skin>skin.confluence</skin>
<skincolors>SKINDEFAULT</skincolors>
<skintheme>SKINDEFAULT</skintheme>
<skinzoom>0</skinzoom>
<soundskin>SKINDEFAULT</soundskin>
<startupwindow>10000</startupwindow>
</lookandfeel>

Change it to match the above.

Borrowed from another thread.
by the way i am using xbmc 10, and on wasn't able to find that guisetting.xml file do you know where it might be in the file system? Also i tried deleted the third party repositories from my computer that the skin came from but no luck
i don't know if it changes things because im on linux but i go to usr/share/xbmc/usrdata and there is no guisettings.xml file even when logged in as root
(2012-05-08, 22:34)hernandito Wrote: [ -> ]Which version of XBMC are you using... Mac, Win, XBMCbuntu? You will need to go to the addons folder, delete the folder with the new skin and restart XBMC... It should go back to Confluence.

I looked in the addons folder and it doesn't have any of the addons i have downloaded, maybe because i have only downloaded through the xbmc interface?
(2012-05-08, 23:29)jonass21 Wrote: [ -> ]i don't know if it changes things because im on linux but i go to usr/share/xbmc/usrdata and there is no guisettings.xml file even when logged in as root

Your downloaded addons, guisettings.xml, etc. are found in the $HOME/.xbmc/userdata/ folder on Linux systems
(2012-05-09, 00:58)dnairb Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-05-08, 23:29)jonass21 Wrote: [ -> ]i don't know if it changes things because im on linux but i go to usr/share/xbmc/usrdata and there is no guisettings.xml file even when logged in as root

Your downloaded addons, guisettings.xml, etc. are found in the $HOME/.xbmc/userdata/ folder on Linux systems

just when i think im getting the hang of linux....Confused I don't see .xbmc folder in my home directory, or my /root directory so I guess $home must be something different... could you help me to access it? I'm linux mint 11
(2012-05-09, 02:15)jonass21 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-05-09, 00:58)dnairb Wrote: [ -> ]

just when i think im getting the hang of linux....Confused I don't see .xbmc folder in my home directory, or my /root directory so I guess $home must be something different... could you help me to access it? I'm linux mint 11
It will be under home. Do you see any folders that start with . ? If not, then do ctrl+H so it shows your hidden files.
Ah ha, I found it under home/myname as root, it was hidden, i thought that was a windows thing, thanks a bunch everyone i found the skin file and deleted and now i am back up and running
Not sure if you have a reason for staying on Dharma (10.1), but if you upgrade to Eden (11), then you'll be able to use Metropolis.
(2012-05-09, 03:40)Aenima99x Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure if you have a reason for staying on Dharma (10.1), but if you upgrade to Eden (11), then you'll be able to use Metropolis.

functionally 10 just works for me so i just didn't think it necessary to upgrade, Metropolis isn't that important to me to upgrade anyhow Smile