Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: A few annoying issues... Help?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey all

Have been a long time XBMC on Xbox user, but recently took the plunge and installed XBMCbuntu on an old Acer Netbook I had lying around. A few teething troubles initially:
- WiFi was unbelievably slow - tried the Ath9k, wireless n and ipv6 solutions, none of which helped. Ended up finding an obscure reference to removing network-manager and installing wicd instead - problem solved!
- Then had an issue with resolution on my 1080p tv - booting direct into XBMC and p;laying with resolution settings would either a) cut off most of the screen (ie it was all way too big to fit) or b) push the screen up to its 1920x1080, but only show XBMC really small in the top left corner. Fixed this by booting into XBMCbuntu instead, where I could happily set the resolution correctly. Then set XBMC app to autorun on start which gives me the full HD resolution. With me so far?!

So then, for the resolution issue, am I making any sacrifices by booting into XBMCbuntu then running the app from there, vs direct into XBMC? ie. should I try harder to get it working properly from within XBMC?

Secondly, having real issues with WOL - I've read a few guides but nothing's helped so far. Any pointers to a 'for dummies' solution?

Finally, I keep getting crashes when trying to send stuff from my iPad via airplay - is this common? Any thoughts?

Thanks all!
Any thoughts guys?
I would say you're not losing anything by using the XBMCbuntu session instead of the XBMC session. Arguably the XBMCbuntu session has a higher system resource overhead, but so long as you are happy with the performance then this shouldn't matter Smile The XBMCbuntu session does have the advantage of providing a desktop environment from which you can work if needs be.

The actual resolution stuff you describe sounds kinda weird ... I'd guess that maybe running XBMC fullscreen (although surely the XBMC session should do this?) might help when it uses 1920x1080 screen size.

WOL will probably be a lot of fun and games, as you start getting into power management areas, so I can't help you there, and can't help from an AirPlay perspective either.
The screen being "way too big" for the TV is fairly standard and has to do with overscan. Go to Settings > System > Video > Video calibration. There you can downscale the screen render area to fit the TV.
I have the same problem with the resolution you have to change the resolution in XBMC and in the xbmcubuntu but when you reboot in xbmc it starts in xbmc unbuntu and not in in xbmc like it should.
Sorry to make this thread reborn but i am having the same trouble about the resolution. Like was said, i am now runnig xbmcbuntu instead of xbmc. but i don´t know how to make xbmc start up with the xbmcbuntu...how have you done this Axis_75? does anyone knows how to do it? I am a totally noob on linux...sorry...

Well sorry again...i have done some research and i found out how to do it! for people who are installing the xbmcbuntu on laptops, netbooks. we face the problem that we can´t disable the monitor of the netbook or notebook right? so we have to logout the xbmc and log in the xbmcbuntu! once you have done this configure the right resolution for your tv on xbmc(after you have disable you monitor). then open the comand prompt by pressing ctrl+alt+f1
them put this comand: cp -v /usr/share/applications/xbmc.desktop ~/.config/autostart/xbmc.desktop
them put this comand: sudo reboot

when the netbook/notebook restart xbmc will automatically open!
i hope o have helped someone...