Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: "Move file to..." from context menu
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all!

I'm a file view mode user because I have a lot of asian and very old films that can't be scraped.
Also many Italian old films are very difficult to scrape so I have difficulties to use Library.
Beside that ( i don't want to start a flame on what is better using) I'm very very pleased to use XBMC, that I think is some of the best software in the world. I'm a file system maniac so I had my terabytes perfectly ordered and named.

So, what i desire more from XMBC?

Many times, friends or myself want to have "that film"... "that with that actor...." . Searching or navigating in xmbc should find easily that video but what about copiyng it on a usb stick to pass it to a friend?? Very nasty, I have to remember what source i have used, than what disk, etc or search by windows, than copying it one by one.

What about a simple command "copy this file to..." in the context menu or also in the movie info?
So I can use XMBC to navigate in my mega-collection, jump from actor to director, etc, find what I want easily and having the movie info and posters to remember the film I want, and then copyng it whit just a click, from my sofa and using only the remote. Fantastic!

I also thought about optimising the file moving... How many times, you navigate your file sys, find a file in a directory, start a copy, then find another file in another directory and start a double copy? Your hard disk will complain and the file transfer will be much slower.

in the case we navigate on our great file sys and we will find a lot of file we want to copy to friends, by different sources, maybe can be very very useful to release something like a "copying queue" where I define a default destination (my friend's usb stick for example) and then, using the context menu from my remote, i can move files with only a single click.

I don't know if this can be a XBMC feature or maybe a useful plugin... but for me this can be absolutely GREAT.

thanks!

No one respond?
correctly observed.
XBMC is not a filesharing app [tm].
Sorry, but... I don't think this is file sharing (what about torrent plugins?).
Beside what I have described before, this can be only a useful functionality to move/copy our files directly to a destination.

I agree with yamaarashi Nod...we need a simple file transfer method...
consider this, i have a pendrive full of pictures snapped on a vacation, and i want to load them up on my hdd.Wouldnt it be easy if i go to pictures>files>[pendrive name]> right click on folder and select copy?
much more intuitive that settings >file manager>select source, select destination, copy
(2012-07-12, 15:30)sagarthegreat1 Wrote: [ -> ]I agree with yamaarashi Nod...we need a simple file transfer method...
consider this, i have a pendrive full of pictures snapped on a vacation, and i want to load them up on my hdd.Wouldnt it be easy if i go to pictures>files>[pendrive name]> right click on folder and select copy?
much more intuitive that settings >file manager>select source, select destination, copy

that's what the file manager is for.
Well it is a pity all those smart XBMC programers out there are not listening.
I am a recent XBMC convert before I used Front row with Sapphire plugin
and it had a move function. I use xtv-saf addon maybe the devs over there
might help.
(2013-01-17, 16:29)genie Wrote: [ -> ]Well it is a pity all those smart XBMC programers out there are not listening.

That's not a fair statement at all. Just because you aren't getting a certain feature added doesn't mean the devs aren't listening. They all do this on their own time. They may not have the free time to jump on and implement your request. Or, perhaps they don't feel it's a feature they want to spend their time on implementing. Since they do this on their own and don't get paid for it, they are free to implement or not whatever they want. Nothing is stopping you or someone else from adding this functionality into XBMC.