Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Music Pump Kodi Remote
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm on CM10 on one device and Samsung JB 4.1.1 on another. Both crash when trying to "Play in party mode".

Top of the stack trace is:

java.lang.ClassCastException: java.lang.String cannot be cast to android.database.Cursor at ch.berard.musicplayer.fragements.au.onContextItemSelected(PlaylistsFragment.java:207)
(2012-11-19, 16:31)bile Wrote: [ -> ]I'm on CM10 on one device and Samsung JB 4.1.1 on another. Both crash when trying to "Play in party mode".

Top of the stack trace is:

java.lang.ClassCastException: java.lang.String cannot be cast to android.database.Cursor at ch.berard.musicplayer.fragements.au.onContextItemSelected(PlaylistsFragment.java:207)

Thanks for reporting the problem. I have seen this error in play store bug reports and already fixed it in my dev build ;-)
It crashes because you probably don't have any playlists defined

I have just published a new Release 0.99 of Music Pump XBMC Remote in the playstore. Should be available in a moment.

Changes:
* Movie Sets and Genres
* Show Resumable Movies/TV Shows
* TV Show banners (recent froyo builds only)
* Help for "Remote" buttons
* Added "Remote" to the File section
* Fixed song order in multi-disc albums
* Change subtitles and audio tracks from now playing screen (functionality is hidden in the options menu)
* Hardware Keyboard support
* Added Movie/Episode Cast with Link to IMDB
* Raspberry pi mode can be disabled when used with recent froyo builds
Still loving this app!

Looks amazing and by far the best thing going for people who love music and enjoy easily creating and changing playlists as they listen. It also looks great and the improvements being made are making it even better all the time. Any plans for links to Lyrics? That would make it the ultimate for me!

Unfortunately I still seem to be having issues with playlists stopping after each track, every other track etc. I'm sure it's probably just at my end but the strange thing is that it's happening on both my devices (Jellybean S3, Honeycomb Tab 8.9)...any ideas what could be causing it?

Thanks!!
I haven't considered adding lyrics support yet since I don't know where/how to grab them and xbmc does not provide them over json-rpc.

To your disconnect problem
I hope the following is not your problem ;-) If you hit play on a song it adds that song to the end of the playqueue (in "now playing") and stops playback after that. That is expected behavior. Otherwise you have to use the queue button (+) and it will play all songs in the queue to the end. I think you figured that out.

The playback problem could be caused by several things:
- If playback stops after every! song the json-rpc port 9090 unreachable. In that case something else may be running on that port or your firewall blocks the connection
- If playback stops after a couple of songs it may be because of a bad wifi signal or short disconnects/reconnects of your device, bad wifi driver, another app turning off the wifi.
- Android may still kill the app when it is in the background. To test this you can enable screen always on in your device settings and keep music pump open while playing music and you should not see any disconnects.

On my devices 2.3, 4.0 and 4.1 I rarely have a disconnects on android

An alternative is to use "File Mode" which queues songs directly on xbmc like the other remotes => playback won't stop even if you close music pump but currently you can't see the songs in that queue.
Changelog looks great, looking forward to check how the movie sets work.
Only thing from my personal wishlist that still does not seem to be there is sorting by album artist, right? I have multiple various artists albums, and they all got sorted by the artist of the last track I think. If this worked properly I would be totally pleased :-)
sorting by albumartist or album can be changed in the settings. Will move that directly to the album view at some point like it is done for Movies

You should verify if your various artists albums have set the id3 tag "albumartist". If no albumartist tag is present the app will pick an artist from that album instead.

(2012-11-25, 21:36)Millencolin007 Wrote: [ -> ]I haven't considered adding lyrics support yet since I don't know where/how to grab them and xbmc does not provide them over json-rpc.

To your disconnect problem
I hope the following is not your problem ;-) If you hit play on a song it adds that song to the end of the playqueue (in "now playing") and stops playback after that. That is expected behavior. Otherwise you have to use the queue button (+) and it will play all songs in the queue to the end. I think you figured that out.

The playback problem could be caused by several things:
- If playback stops after every! song the json-rpc port 9090 unreachable. In that case something else may be running on that port or your firewall blocks the connection
- If playback stops after a couple of songs it may be because of a bad wifi signal or short disconnects/reconnects of your device, bad wifi driver, another app turning off the wifi.
- Android may still kill the app when it is in the background. To test this you can enable screen always on in your device settings and keep music pump open while playing music and you should not see any disconnects.

On my devices 2.3, 4.0 and 4.1 I rarely have a disconnects on android

An alternative is to use "File Mode" which queues songs directly on xbmc like the other remotes => playback won't stop even if you close music pump but currently you can't see the songs in that queue.
Thank you for your detailed response! I will check those things out. No it's not the first suggestion! But...it may be something to do with the ports as I don't believe it's wifi signal. I will check that out.

I hope you might consider some Lyrics integration in the future. That would make a very cool app even cooler! Smile
I think I've tried all available xbmc remotes in Android play and this is by far the best! Though I have one small problem which drives me crazy...

How do you play/queue a single directory with X songs? I think I've spend 3 hours and I still haven't succeeded yet... It should be supported, see below

(2012-05-11, 16:08)Millencolin007 Wrote: [ -> ]It currently supports following features:
* Files:
- Browse all files (music / video / files) and play/queue single files or directories.

If I am correct you are referring to the Files section:
- You can play or queue the whole directory (it actually only queues the 50 first songs) from the options menu (buttons in the top bar, some may only show when you press the hardware menu button)
- To play/queue a single song you have to long-press on a list entry => it displays a pop-up menu where you can play/queue a single file

You will NOT see the queued files in the now playing screen since in file mode since all files are queued in the VIDEO!! play queue on xbmc. The queue on your device can currently only be used to queue music from the music section.

If possible you should always scan your music files to the xbmc library and use the music library mode to play music, this is way better than using file mode and you have the option to stream files to your phone and download songs.

File Mode is currently here to play radio stations, browse plugins and queue some (youtube) videos.

(2012-11-27, 15:21)Millencolin007 Wrote: [ -> ]sorting by albumartist or album can be changed in the settings. Will move that directly to the album view at some point like it is done for Movies

You should verify if your various artists albums have set the id3 tag "albumartist". If no albumartist tag is present the app will pick an artist from that album instead.

This is still not working properly.
All my albums have artist as well as album artist maintained. Whenever those two are different, the app does not pick the album artist ("Various"), but the artist from the last track.
This happens with albums with multiple MP3s, but also with the ones with only one MP3 & Cue. From the Cue it also picks the artist of the last track instead of the album artist (First PERFORMER line in a Cue).

Both situations are displayed correctly in XBMC itself as well as in the official XBMC Android Remote, so it is no issue in my file tagging, but that Music Pump unfortunately interprets the tag information differently.

Millencolin007 Wrote:If I am correct you are referring to the Files section:
- You can play or queue the whole directory (it actually only queues the 50 first songs) from the options menu (buttons in the top bar, some may only show when you press the hardware menu button)
- To play/queue a single song you have to long-press on a list entry => it displays a pop-up menu where you can play/queue a single file

You will NOT see the queued files in the now playing screen since in file mode since all files are queued in the VIDEO!! play queue on xbmc. The queue on your device can currently only be used to queue music from the music section.

Would be great to have this like in the official Android remoge:
Long pressing on a folder enables to play or queue the whole folder. Plus there is no difference if I queue a folder or an album from the album view, both are displayed properly in the "now playing" view.
If I only play a single file from the file view it is displayed in the now playing window.
(2012-12-01, 16:11)pigeldi Wrote: [ -> ]This is still not working properly.
All my albums have artist as well as album artist maintained. Whenever those two are different, the app does not pick the album artist ("Various"), but the artist from the last track.
This happens with albums with multiple MP3s, but also with the ones with only one MP3 & Cue. From the Cue it also picks the artist of the last track instead of the album artist (First PERFORMER line in a Cue).

Both situations are displayed correctly in XBMC itself as well as in the official XBMC Android Remote, so it is no issue in my file tagging, but that Music Pump unfortunately interprets the tag information differently.

Ok, I will check in the code to see what happens exactly with albums that have an album artist.

(2012-12-01, 16:11)pigeldi Wrote: [ -> ]Would be great to have this like in the official Android remoge:
Long pressing on a folder enables to play or queue the whole folder. Plus there is no difference if I queue a folder or an album from the album view, both are displayed properly in the "now playing" view.
If I only play a single file from the file view it is displayed in the now playing window.

The app is built in a way that you should use "music library mode" or "file mode" but you cannot mix both. This has some technical reasons: All songs from the music library have a library id and can be redirected to your android device using the speaker icon something that won't be possible using file mode => I don't want to allow queuing files from file mode in that list otherwise it will break the sound redirection since this won't work for all files from file mode. Maybe I will add a play queue for file mode later on in my opinion it is not really required and in cases where it would be helpful it does not work properly (Queuing youtube videos for example only show empty labels in many cases so the queue is useless)

Moreover long press on a folder won't work since json-rpc does not support queuing folders recursively. The official xbmc remote uses the old http api which is now deprecated
the movie cast really nice

if you can add an option to see all the movie i have from actor X like the official remote it will be great
(2012-12-03, 18:41)ntk1 Wrote: [ -> ]the movie cast really nice

if you can add an option to see all the movie i have from actor X like the official remote it will be great

You can already browse by actors, country, director, genre, sets, studio, tags, title and year with a small trick

In xbmc open the filemanager (system -> file manager) and then select "add source". As path you have to enter "videodb://" and give it a name

In music pump you can then go to file mode and select "File sources" => your new source => Movies ;-)

If you long press on one of the folders you can add it to the favorites for direct access.
Small update pushed to play store with a fix to make the remote work with XBMC Froyo Beta 2

Don't forget to rate the app if you like it