Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Music Pump Kodi Remote
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I also tried with the may 3rd build.

My sources.xml config on the pi looks like this ( I added everything through the xbmc ui)

Code:
<sources>
    <programs>
        <default pathversion="1"></default>
    </programs>
    <video>
        <source>
            <name>Movies</name>
            <path pathversion="1">smb://xbmc/Media/Movies/</path>
        </source>
    </video>
    <music>
        <source>
            <name>Music</name>
            <path pathversion="1">smb://XBMC/Media/Music/</pat
h>
        </source>
    </music>
    <pictures>
    </pictures>
    <files>
    </files>
</sources>

And in my smb.conf file on the linux box I have something like. I think it is running samba 3.6.3

Code:
[Media]
    comment = Media
    path = /media/media
    browseable = yes
    public = no
    writable = yes
    printable = no
    force group = users

I don't have any experiences with a shared database so I cannot help you there.

Files are accessed through xbmc and not directly from the smb server so in theory if xbmc can read the files you should be able to download them.

You can find out the filename which was requested by the remote if you enable debug logging in xbmc. The logfile will be in .xbmc/temp/xbmc.log

When you try to stream a file to the remote look for entries like the following

Code:
DEBUG: webserver: request received for /vfs/.....

You can paste that url into a browser and try to access the file using http://xbmcip:port/vfs/....
(2013-05-27, 18:09)Millencolin007 Wrote: [ -> ]When you try to stream a file to the remote look for entries like the following
Code:
DEBUG: webserver: request received for /vfs/.....
You can paste that url into a browser and try to access the file using http://xbmcip:port/vfs/....

Thanks to your feedback, I was able to debug things well enough to corner the actual issue and nail it.

Using tail -f , I monitored the xbmc.log, and saw that requests for the files were coming through just fine. They just weren't served. This was very confusing.
Entering the http://...vfs url into a browser got me nothing. A blank screen. Changing the address to the xbmc running on Windows, and it worked just fine.
Sure, I had added the files from my Windows XBMC, and they were playing fine from there.
Next I tried adding a new source from Raspberry with different media files - and whoa, they were streaming ok from Raspberry.

I compared my sources.xml and every other configuration, and they were identical. ...except that share names weren't case-by-case identical at all. My SMB share folders have capital letters in many places, but my Windows XBMC had saved those with small letters in sources.xml. This is actually because I couldn't browse directly to my samba shares, and I had typed the locations manually, naturally using lowcase letters since Windows paths are not case sensitive.

At the same time, it got into my eye, that XMBC 12 has a new VFS security feature, which doesn't let you download files unless XMBC has the (parent) folder location listed as one of the sources. Also, I noticed that Movie files aren't fetched via vfs at all, but directly by the player via Samba, which made sense now.

The reason for everything except music downloading/streaming working cross-XBMC, using centralized mysql database, was simply that when it comes to the new Frodo VFS security, the xbmc share names are case-sensitive!

That being solved now, I dare now to purchase another unlocker license for my own profile (wifey already has it) Smile Thanks!
I might also add an improvement suggestion to the software, considering the usability:

* Turn the light gray texts (for example Artist for album list) a tiny notch darker. They're quite hard to read on Nexus 7, for example. They're very light.

* Even if there's disc number in song metadata, do not display it in track listings, unless there are tracks from several different disc( number)s in the folder/album.
* Alternatively, do not display the track number as "cd 1/1", "cd 1/2", "cd 1/3" etc, it's confusing, and syntactically incorrect. Instead, replace the slash with a space, and gray out the cd number. This will bold and highlight only the track number, making it visually more clear and pleasing to the eye.

Other than that, very happy! Smile
(2013-05-25, 08:30)Millencolin007 Wrote: [ -> ]Which queue do you mean because there are at least 3 different layouts?

There is one in the "now playing" screen => icon with dots on left side/artist/album/rating/duration
There is one in the drawer menu ( unlocked version) => Artist/Album/duration and no icon
and finally the layout in "now playing" changes if you enable "queue on xbmc" (unlocked version) => shows Artist/Album/thumbnail

I'm using the "queue on xbmc" option, but where I expect to see Artist I see the text "file/song".

I have the same on now playing and the pull-out drawer.
Enable the option "Metadata in file mode" in the settings and you will see the artist instead of file/song
Hi Millencolin007,

Love your app! Now I'm trying to play (or browse) my local music before setting up a XBMC server. I can not find the right way to do this. Is this even possible?
If you have the unlocked version you will have the menu "Play Local Files" on the start screen of the app.

If you open it you will see the music section and your music should appear after some time.
The app rescan files every time by default but you can disable "Auto refresh local music" in the settings. This may make sense if you have a lot of songs on your device and don't want to wait every time you start the local player. Long-press on Play Local Files will refresh the music section

At that point you can play the music files locally and if you have configured a remote xbmc server you can also stream the music to xbmc using the speaker icon on top right
Thanks for explaining.

Maybe you could consider making playing local files a free feature. Maybe with restritions (not able to stream to..) but at least giving the option to let users try out playing local music before deciding to buy your app. This would bring in non-XBMC users as well.

On the other hand, your main focus is XBMC users and if users want to integrate XBMC music and local music (thus effectivly using Music Pump for all my music playback) it's a feature they would pay for.

It's your call of course but Android users in general could use your player, even without XBMC. (As paid options you could than add (UPNP, SMB, NFS or whatever) shares so non-XBMC users can even use a central server.)

And "auto refresh local music" is a setting, even in the free version but it will only affect the paid version.
Release 1.5.3 is available in the playstore

- Improved File Mode navigation
- Additional previous/next/play/stop buttons for the remote (must be enabled in settings)
- Remote Button feedback

@Robotica: I removed the "auto refresh local music" setting in the free version. I will think about making the play local files available without streaming option
However I think a better thing would be to let the user try all features for a week or two and then fallback to the free version. Many users don't know and can't guess that the unlocked version is much better
Hi,

thanks for your work! Wink
One question: is it possible to sort the musiclist by file-date?
So it would be much easier for me to find new files.....
Which list do you want to sort by file date: Music -> Songs? File Mode?

to access recently added music you can create a smart playlist on xbmc and access it through Music -> Playlists. If you have the unlocked version you will also get some additional tabs in Music -> Albums which show recently added/played albums...
(2013-06-01, 07:48)Millencolin007 Wrote: [ -> ]Release 1.5.3 is available in the playstore

- Improved File Mode navigation
- Additional previous/next/play/stop buttons for the remote (must be enabled in settings)
- Remote Button feedback

@Robotica: I removed the "auto refresh local music" setting in the free version. I will think about making the play local files available without streaming option
However I think a better thing would be to let the user try all features for a week or two and then fallback to the free version. Many users don't know and can't guess that the unlocked version is much better

Thank you for the option to tap-to-queue option in file mode :-)
You are welcome. Forgot to mention that in the release notes.

Another feature I missed to mention: "long-press" on the tv button in the remote opens live tv
What happened to being able to suspend, shutdown or wake up? I don't see the power functions anymore.
(2013-06-02, 03:13)rev105 Wrote: [ -> ]What happened to being able to suspend, shutdown or wake up? I don't see the power functions anymore.

Open the remote by swiping the screen from the left border to the right. You will see all functions in the top bar. That way they are accessible from any screen and free up some space in the actionbar