Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: DTS surround playback
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have some DVD-audio discs. I have ripped the 6 (5.1) channel dts stream as separate dts files. Now I want to add these to my music library.

I have the optical out on my computer connected to my receiver, which has a dts decoder. If I play back these files as music files, I only get a stereo signal. But if I play it with the video player, I get surround. Is there a way to make dts music files play back as surround automatically?

I also want to tag these files, so I can use the library to find them. Is that possible to do in XBMC, or is there another tagging program that I can use? I have Windows 7. I don't think that MP3tag would work on dts files. Maybe Foobar2000 will do it, since it has dts support with a plugin.
HEllo.
I got the same problem..
I got more DTS audio file (rip from blue ray) and via SPDIF i got only stereo..
AC3 and DTS not work..how to do passthrough?
Version 11.0 Eden, system Windows XP.
On the menu no chance to choice passthrough??
Add the following line to your playercorefactory.xml:

<rule filetypes="(dts|wav)" player="DVDPlayer" />
Not work.Sad
Mayby in wrong place?
Work with some files, with some no.

Works eg.

General
Complete name : F:\dts audio\Depeche Mode 5.1\DTS 5.1 96 kHz 24 bit\1984 Some Great Reward\01 Something To Do.wav
Format : DTS
Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems
Format profile : 96/24 / Core
File size : 41.3 MiB
Duration : 3mn 49s
Overall bit rate mode : Constant
Overall bit rate : 1 510 Kbps

Audio
Format profile : 96/24 / Core
Duration : 3mn 49s
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 1 510 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 96.0 KHz / 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 24 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 41.3 MiB

Do not work:

General
Complete name : F:\dts audio\BJORK - GREATEST HITS dts\02 - Hyperballad.dts
Format : Wave
File size : 40.3 MiB
Duration : 3mn 59s
Overall bit rate : 1 411 Kbps

Audio
ID : 0
Format settings, Endianness : Little
Muxing mode : LE / 14
Codec ID : 1
Duration : 3mn 59s
Bit rate : 1 411.2 Kbps
Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
Stream size : 40.3 MiB (100%)

this too, only stereo:

General
Complete name : F:\dts audio\Jean Michel Jarre - Equinoxe DTS\Jean Michel Jarre - Equinoxe.wav
Format : Wave
File size : 393 MiB
Duration : 38mn 55s
Overall bit rate : 1 411 Kbps

Audio
ID : 0
Format settings, Endianness : Little
Muxing mode : LE / 14
Codec ID : 1
Duration : 38mn 55s
Bit rate : 1 411.2 Kbps
Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
Stream size : 393 MiB (100%)

<playercorefactory>
<players>
<!-- These are compiled-in as re-ordering them would break scripts
The following aliases may also be used:
audiodefaultplayer, videodefaultplayer, videodefaultdvdplayer
<player name="DVDPlayer" audio="true" video="true" />
<player name="DVDPlayer" /> placeholder for MPlayer
<player name="PAPlayer" audio="true" />
-->
</players>

<rules name="system rules">
<rule name="rtv" protocols="rtv" player="DVDPlayer" />
<rule name="hdhomerun/myth/rtmp/mms/udp" protocols="hdhomerun|myth|cmyth|rtmp|mms|mmsh|udp" player="DVDPlayer" />
<rule name="lastfm/shout" protocols="lastfm|shout" player="PAPlayer" />

<!-- dvdplayer can play standard rtsp streams -->
<rule name="rtsp" protocols="rtsp" filetypes="!(rm|ra)" player="PAPlayer" />

<!-- Internet streams -->
<rule name="streams" internetstream="true">
<rule name="flv/aacp/sdp" mimetypes="video/x-flv|video-flv|audio/aacp|application/sdp" player="DVDPlayer" />
<rule name="mp2" mimetypes="application/octet-stream" filetypes="mp2" player="PAPlayer" />
</rule>

<!-- DVDs -->
<rule name="dvd" dvd="true" player="videodefaultdvdplayer" />
<rule name="dvdfile" dvdfile="true" player="videodefaultdvdplayer" />
<rule name="dvdimage" dvdimage="true" player="videodefaultdvdplayer" />

<!-- Only dvdplayer can handle these normally -->
<rule name="sdp/asf" filetypes="sdp|asf" player="DVDPlayer" />

<!-- Pass these to dvdplayer as we do not know if they are audio or video -->
<rule name="nsv" filetypes="nsv" player="DVDPlayer" />
</rules>
</playercorefactory>
(2012-05-14, 15:37)sialivi Wrote: [ -> ]Add the following line to your playercorefactory.xml:

This worked fine for me. Thank you!

Is there also a way to tag dts files so I can add them to the music library?
(2012-05-14, 19:53)trondis23 Wrote: [ -> ]Is there also a way to tag dts files so I can add them to the music library?

If you use .dts as the file extension, you should be able to add it by putting the following line in your advancedsettings.xml:

Code:
<musicextensions>
    <add>.dts</add>
</musicextensions>

I tried to do this, but XBMC requires the files to be tagged to include them in the library. So the problem is that I don't know of any program that support tagging of dts files.
Hi!
Any suggestions about DTS??
I think, after doing some googling, that dts files are untaggable. Yesterday I tried to embed the dts files in Matroska, and saved them as mka files. These files played back perfectly. Matroska mkv or mka files are taggable, but this is not an easy task. I haven't found any programs that support mka tagging, so it seems like I have to write xml files and merge them with the mka files. I will check out this some more and come back to you. There is an xml template on the Matroska site. But I have no experience with xml programming. So if any of you have some tips, they are welcome.
I have now finally had success with this project. I ripped the DVD-A as one big image file, using DVD-encrypter. Then I encoded the file to dts. Next I converted the dts to a Matruska mka file with mkvmerge. This program can import cue-files to make chapters, and also attach cover art. The DVD-A disc I ripped came as both an CD and a DVD-A. So I created the cue-file by ripping the CD with Cueripper (part of Cuetools). Cueripper also downloaded the album art. Alternatively it is possible to export a chapter file from DVD-encrypter, and import that instead of the cue file. It is probably necessary to edit this file before it is imported.

When I imported the mka-file to the XBMC music library, the program found the rest of album info. And it played back perfectly with the DVD-player in 5.1 surround. One extra bonus by using this method is that you get perfect gapless playback. The DVD player doesn't do gapless with single dts files.
Forget what I wrote in the previous post. All you need is a cue-file. So a dts file is fine.
Another method to use is ripping your DVDA discs with DVDA-explorer and converting the .mlp streams to multichannel flac. This way, you get all the lossless goodness of the 94/24 source (if applicable), you get the tagging ability of a flac file, and you'll be able to play it back through your music library.

Here's some info regarding the workflow for this.
^^^ What thrak76 said Wink

I'd almost forgotten that little write-up - glad it can help someone. One thing about DTS 96/24 DVD-A's though (I have a few) is that when you covert DTS to PCM 24/96 it expands quite a bit, so even after FLAC'ing them they might be a bit larger. But good Smile
DVDA Explorer was actually the first method I tried. But then I realized that only dts or ac3 files can be sent via S/PDIF and decoded to surround by my receiver. Flac and other formats must be decoded by the computer and sent as analogue signals to the receiver. Newer receivers with HDMI might be able to decode MLP or TrueHD, but not mine.

My plan is to pick up a Raspberry Pi ( I am on the waiting list), and use XBMC to build a silent media center. The Pi comes with HDMI and standard (said to be bad) analogue out. So I hope to use a converter box to convert the HDMI signal to S/PDIF. At DealExtreme they have some boxes that claim to do that.