Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: User Polls?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've noted some forums have user polls, or allow user to make their own polls...

I'm not sure this is a good idea, but in some instances.. when a consensus of direction is needed, a poll might prove useful.
I think the that's gonna be a nope
Let's put it to a meta vote :D
In all seriousness, while users can't create polls, they can be made by forum moderators upon request. If its a reasonable request then I don't see why not. I don't know if Team XBMC would use it for XBMC direction stuff, but I could see it being used by add-on makers and skinners. Or even a few for-fun polls. I can't recall even if the team feels strongly about not letting users make polls.
No harm, no foul. They wouldn't largely impact team direction/decisions, but for skinners & add-on makers why not?
Iirc we had this discussion a while ago and if dev wants a poll he can request one.
It was also said it was not gonna be for users because it would cause a wild growth of polls
I'm on a forum that does allow user polls, and I've never seen polls in wild abandon, (humour polls exempted) and almost every poll was somewhat informative, even though; usually how the question was couched dictated the outcome. Having the moderator post the poll is a good compromise, but having the devs request a poll surely means few to zero polls and explains why this forum has few to it's own detriment. As 'Martijn' mentioned.. this issue has been discussed prior... and I'm reluctant to go digging into the dead letter office.

A look at forums that do have moderated polls, empowers the user, and subsequent messages in the forums are shorter more consistant and attentive and in general, more responsible.
If no one requests one there won't be any of course.
I think almost no dev knows or cares about it. Should they ask i think there won't be any problem with it.
IIRC skinners and addon devs can create polls, only regular users are not allowed to.