Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [Mac] Eden & Frodo XBMCHelper
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have been using the XBMC 12 Fordo 5/19 nightly build. One of the things I had done with XBMC Dharma 10.1 is use Hulu Desktop instead of the Hulu plug-in. In order to be able to use Hulu Desktop I had to kill off XBMCHelper before executing Hulu Desktop and then relaunch XBMCHelper after Hulu Desktop has exited. I did this so that Hulu Desktop could use the Apple remote. So now with XBMC Fordo (and Eden) when I exit XBMC and restart XBMC I get the following error message when XBMC restarts:

Remote Communucations Server
Failed to start

The problem is that when XBMC restarts the Apple remote is no longer usable. Is there anyway in Frodo to get around this other then using the Hulu plug-in?

Thanks.
I managed to get around the issue by killing off XBMC and the XBMCHelper process before launching Hulu Desktop and then restarting XBMC after Hulu Desktop quits. Something about having a shell running in the same process as XBMC is causing the communication error.
Something maybe one of the XBMC developers can clarify for me. If I put the following in a shell script:
Code:
open -W "/Applications/XBMC.app"

When I execute the script why do I get the following error at the top of the XBMC screen:

Failed to start

When this happens I can't use the Apple remote, none of the buttons have any effect on XBMC. I have to use the keyboard and mouse to move around in XBMC.

If I have "Allow Apple Remote to restart XBMC", I exit XBMC with the keyboard and then press the menu button on the Apple remote XBMC will restart.

Now If I put the following in a shell script:
Code:
open "/Applications/XBMC.app"

Then I don't get the error message and the Apple remote functions as expected. Curious why this happens.
-W Causes open to wait until the applications it opens (or that were already open) have exited. Use with the -n flag to allow open to function as an appropriate app for the $EDITOR environment variable.
davilla,

If I tried to execute a shell script like this:
Code:
open -n "/Applications/XBMC.app"

sleep 5

I would get the XBMC error:

Failed to start

And the Apple remote would not function for XBMC. Why?
-n Open a new instance of the application(s) even if one is already running.

Is one already running ?
davilla,

No other instance of XBMC was running. If I tried to execute a shell script like this:
Code:
open "/Applications/XBMC.app"

sleep 5

I would get the XBMC error:

Failed to start
[/CODE]

If I remove the "sleep 5" command the error does not happen regardless if "open -n" or "open" is used. By the way, this does happen in XBMC 10.1.