Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Ability question from a new user
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All

I have just completed gathering all the hardware required for a htpc. I have installed a wired network throughout my house via a 24 port gigabit switch. What I would like to know is if I have a ps3 connected to my TV in the lounge and my in-laws who stay at the back of our house have a ps3 in there lounge. If they where connected onto the same network would they be able to watch the same things as me at the same time.

So simplified my question would be can XBMC supply the same stream of content at the same time but to two or more "receivers" and if so is there any kind of unique configuration i need to setup.

I have searched for this but havent found exactly what im looking for.

Hope this thread is in the right place

Sneaky

If the material you're trying to access is in the same location (NAS) you can have multiple front ends accessing the data from different locations, if it's the same data at the same time, then there will be some sort of packet switching and will be highly dependent on the kind of networking and switching you have. It's akin to copying a movie from one drive to another in one window and in another window copying the same file to another drive location. The slow down is more than half... Network speed tests should give you an idea of the bandwidth required but with the right equipment it would seem doable, but streaming a Blu-Ray might prove challenging.
Yes, but it will depend on how your media is currently stored or how you plan on storing it. Mutliple access from different machines shouldn't be a problem over a gigabit network.

Like Patk said you could use a NAS to store your media on your network.

If you are using internal drives in your HTPC then you could use upnp. Although the HTPC would have to stay on for others to access the media