Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC Eden no hd video on Ubuntu
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am a complete noob. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Intel Atom 330 1.6ghz (dual)
ION gpu
2gb RAM

A couple of years ago, I installed Ubuntu 10.04 with XBMC Camelot. My only issue was that hd video would stutter. I found a forum thread that suggested installing libvdpau1. Did that and it fixed the problem. When Dharma came out, I happily upgraded to that. And then when Eden was available, I upgraded there too. All working fine.

Then I did something I probably should not have done. I upgraded the OS to 11.04, then 11.10, then 12.04. I did nothing else.

From that point on, HD videos (720p or 1080p mkv, mp4) no longer played. Either no video at all or very, very choppy like frames were being dropped. Or it would play fine for a few seconds, then stop for a half second and play again for a few seconds.

So I thought, I'm a bright guy, Ubuntu 10.04 didn't have any issues. I'll just wipe the OS and install 10.04 again. Did that, installed libvdpau1, XBMC Eden, nvidia drivers. No luck. I can't get XBMC to play any HD content. Mplayer will load the mkv files but stutters and either errors or just makes it impossible to watch.

I've searched forums but not finding anything that will help. I'm happy to wipe the OS and start again since all the content is stored on a different drive.

Thanks,
Tim
I'd stick with Eden in combination with 11.10 or later. Install the latest video drivers from NVidia via the x-swat repository. After that, videos should work (assuming they are h.264 or VC-1). There should be no need to install libvdpau1 separately.
xbmcbuntu 11.0 works out of the box on Asrock ION 330 if that is the same gpu you have.
works perfect on my Zotac MAG HD-ND01 which has the exact specs you mentioned.

to update your Nvidia drivers
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

I'd also recommend you upgrade all your drivers and software (The last 2 lines of code will do this).
This can be marked FIXED or at least no longer an issue.

To explain. When I first upgraded to 12.04, there was a definite issue with XBMC playing HD content. So to try to diagnose, I moved the computer to my office where I could easily work at it and not disturb any of the family watching TV. That's where I started seeing the odd issues reported above in every version of Ubuntu I tried. Turns out, there was no real issue. My monitor in my office is a higher resolution than 1920x1080. And being a noob, I didn't know how to set it down to 1920x1080 in either Ubuntu or XBMC. So no HD content would play.

Moving the computer back to the TV with Ubuntu 10.10 and XBMC Eden, everything works fine. So chalk it up to a PEBKAC issue.

I thank all of you that responded with suggestions.