Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Nvidia card always on max performance
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi folks!

I'm using xbmcbuntu, recently upgraded to 12.04. I discovered today, that the graphics grad, an Nvdia GT520, is always running in max performance mode (even when the machine is idle), which results in an higher power consumption then necessary.

I usually set this through an option in the xorg.conf file, but since we (or at least i) have no xorg.conf in xbmcbuntu, is there an other way to force powersavings or adaptive mode? I tried via nvidia-settings console command, but with no luck..so any help is appreciated Wink

kind regards
nvidia-settings usually give the possibility to switch between powersaving or adaptive... You can't check the box ?
Check here if you can add an option to your xorg.conf . After stock install you dont have xorg.conf, but you can had one to put personnal configuration.
(2012-05-30, 22:55)Avathar Wrote: [ -> ]Hi folks!

I'm using xbmcbuntu, recently upgraded to 12.04. I discovered today, that the graphics grad, an Nvdia GT520, is always running in max performance mode (even when the machine is idle), which results in an higher power consumption then necessary.

I usually set this through an option in the xorg.conf file, but since we (or at least i) have no xorg.conf in xbmcbuntu, is there an other way to force powersavings or adaptive mode? I tried via nvidia-settings console command, but with no luck..so any help is appreciated Wink

kind regards

I have the gt520 and there was nothing I could do to change it. I couldn't even change the fan speed so you may be stuck. That sucker is noisy too. Swaped it out for my gt240 and I had both options available.
Well i forwarded the nvidia-settings gui tool via X11-forwarding to my laptop (doesn't have a desktop installed on the htpc) and looked at the configuration: it IS running in adaptive mode, but it is never changing to power saving frequencies..i will try some config tweaking in the evening and will report back Wink
ok tried some config tweaking and "nvidia-settings -c :0 -q GPUCurrentClockFreqs -t" shows "270,405", so the card should run at lower frequency..but in terms of power drain it doesn't help much :/