Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Need advice on which wireless card to add to an Acer Revo 1600
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been using an Acer Revo 1600 hard wired to my network for the past 2 years in the living room, but now I'm moving it to the bedroom where I'd like to use wireless. My question is, can somebody give me suggestions of which pci-e wireless card or USB wireless card I can get that will work automatically with a fresh xbmcbuntu install? My goal is to get the fastest one possible because I have a dual band wireless n router.

Thanks in advance!
Try this one ... Buy it from eBay, works well in the R3610.

Intel WiFi Link 5100
(2012-06-04, 17:50)AJ1000 Wrote: [ -> ]Try this one ... Buy it from eBay, works well in the R3610.

Intel WiFi Link 5100

Thanks for the suggestion! I came across this card earlier while doing some research, but couldn't find any proof that it will work with xbmc. So this card will automatically work without any additional install needed with the latest build of xbmcbuntu? Also, I'm guessing I need to buy internal antennas to go with it?

Additional question: Does anyone know if the Intel WiFi 5300 will work? Just wondering cuz it's 450Mbps compared to the 300Mbps on the 5100.
I have been using it with Dharma and Eden without any problems.

The reason I use the 5100 rather than the 5300 is that the 5100 has 2 antennas which my revo has, the 5300 has 3 antennas as far as I remember.

I have used both openelec and xbmcbuntu and other versions from xbmcfreak, and have never had a problem.
Thank you VERY much for the input. Was able to buy a 5100 and antenna cables on ebay for a grand total of $5.50 shipped Big Grin
You could buy the 5100, but there's also the 6200 and 6300. Those are the latest generation. I have a 6200 myself. The 5300 and 6300 allow for three antennas (and a theoretical link speed of 450 Mbps) but your AP would need to support that as well. Even if it does, you will see little benefit over regular 300 Mbps versions that 'only' have two antennas.

Also, if you can only connect one or two antennas, all those extra connection points are just sitting there, doing nothing.
Did not know about the wireless in the R1600, but take a look at this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-2rgQ3ytiM
I have a Revo 3600 and I plan to buy the Intel 5100 card. Can someone please tell me do I have to install a driver? I have xbmcbuntu 11.0 and don't know a lot about Linux. Can someone walk me through it please?
Hi, I have a Revo 1600 and I installed Xbmcbuntu
I have a 5100 Intel Wifi card
I cannot connect so far...can you please help me ?
Thanks

Rac
I eventually got it working by following the instructions in this thread:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sourc...omments/16

But even after that the wireless was extremely unreliable. I eventually gave up and went to ethernet. After that I got sick of xbmcbuntu and now I am using OpenElec and am happy at last (hope I'm not tempting fate).

Good luck!