Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC setup question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all
I've been reading in these forums for a couple of days now. I am from group 6 and plan on building my HTPC. I would really like to use just XBMC so I don't have to deal with O/S booting and navigating to a program.
I would like to run XBMCBuntu but I can I rip blurays from XBMC?

If I can't rip blu ray in XBMCBuntu I am interested in using win 7. I would like to use the one button bluray/dvd rip fuction by spinalcrack, the question is could I use that if I make xbmc boot as shell? If I got a tv tuner card that required windows for drivers would it still work?
Also would I be able to remote in from my phone and access my media?

I can't for the life of me find out how to setup wifi in xbmcuntu ( I went to settings and networks and nothing appeared) is my wifi card just not supported? b/c I tried xbmc live from an old laptop that currently is running ubuntu.

Thanks in advance
Quote:I can't for the life of me find out how to setup wifi in xbmcuntu ( I went to settings and networks and nothing appeared) is my wifi card just not supported? b/c I tried xbmc live from an old laptop that currently is running ubuntu.
If you mean settings/network inside xbmc you cant setup wifi there. You need to exit xbmc and login to the xbmcbuntu session. There you will have a desktop and a network manager icon (similar to win 7). Or you can install the network-manager add-on. If you still dont see any networks there may be a driver issue.
ohhh.......How do I exit xbmc? a keyboard command? what will be the username/ password when running from a cd?
keyboard: s

remote, from the system menu/sub menu
or the icon down to the left.
Once I get my wifi working and have xbmcbuntu boot is there an add on so I could rip DVDs and blu rays from within xbmcbuntu? Or would I have to install a program in ubuntu and exit xbmc to rip?
If I go with windows (which I really don't want to do) when booting from shell will windows still be running? as in I would still have driver support for a tuner card and use the pc as a media server ? Would the one click rip still work?

Quote:Once I get my wifi working and have xbmcbuntu boot is there an add on so I could rip DVDs and blu rays from within xbmcbuntu?
I have not seen it yet. But it should not be that hard to make a script that is like the Windows one. But it would have to use different programs, thus a complete rewrite. And of course someone with either lots of time OR knowledge.
Quote:Or would I have to install a program in ubuntu and exit xbmc to rip?
That depends on if a similar script has/will be made for Ubuntu to work with the launcher.
Quote:If I go with windows (which I really don't want to do) when booting from shell will windows still be running?
Yes, Windows and Ubuntu are the OS and xbmc is basically just a program that starts on boot up.
Quote:As in I would still have driver support for a tuner card and use the pc as a media server ?
Yes
Quote:Would the one click rip still work?
Yes

As for Ubuntu ripping, something like:
-Get handbrake
http://handbrake.fr/downloads2.php

-lsdvd
Code:
sudo apt-get install lsdvd mplayer mencoder ffmpeg faac x264
(or something like that)

-libcssdvd
Code:
sudo apt-get install libdvdread4
sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh

-And a shell with something like:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
name=$(lsdvd -c 2> /dev/null | grep "Disc Title" | gawk '{print $3}')
HandBrakeCLI -i /dev/dvd -o /home/<NAME>/movies/$name.mp4 --preset="iPhone / iPod Touch" --longest

I know that's just the basic idea but if you really want help with that i suggest posting that question separately in the Ubuntu section.
I bet it can be done (if not already) and it could be useful for others.
there is/was a ripping add-on
(2012-06-09, 06:46)vikjon0 Wrote: [ -> ]there is/was a ripping add-on

There's a CD-audio ripper inside of XBMC. I can't recall if there is anything in XBMCbuntu (outside of the XBMC application) for ripping DVDs/Blurays.
thank you for the info! I haven't had time to try this and I'm still unclear what the login will be since I haven't installed anything yet.