Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: TV Show DVD's - How to rip
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi All

I have recently set up a sweet HTPC with XBMC and lots of help from the great people here.

I have slowly been ripping all my DVD movies to iso's so I can put them into XBMC, and well now I have got to my TV show DVD's. The problem I have is each DVD has like 4 or 5 episodes, so if I rip an iso it will include all of them, but I need each episode to be an individual file so they show correctly (and nicely) in XBMC.

So my question is, how do you guys rip individual episodes of TV Show DVD's.

Currently I simply use Daemon Tools to rip a DVD iso, but I also have Nero 9 if that helps? Or I'm will to try any other free programs.

Cheers in advance.
You could use MakeMKV. Can Transcode individual episodes in an MKV file.
DVD Shrink and then handbrake them into mkv's.. slow and painfull but if you have the time well worth the effort.. :-)
MakeMKV works well for me, the price is great and you can start the rip process and grab a beer. Be sure to name your episodes correctly so XBMC can scrape them properly!
I only use Handbrake. A 42-minute ("hour-long" show) comes to about 500Mb (average) depending upon your settings.
Re-coding is so time consuming and space is so cost effective today I have to ask why bother?

I backup all my TV DVD's as single episode file ISO's in their original format (no re-coding). I use PowerDVD to find the title number of each episode (eg Title 3=Epsiode 1). You'll have to play each episode in a player to see the correct title number.

Then I use multiple sessions of DVDshrink (free) to open and set backup location.

I setup fake ISO files first (rename txt files to iso) using the naming format of my choice (TVShowName.S01E01.EpisodeName.iso). This allows me to point to them when I set the backup location in Shrink. Finally I use a neat little free program called "MultiShrink 1.4" to fire through all the open sessions of DVDshrink. While it's still a little effort, the end result is worth it.

To speed things up, I have a stash of fake ISO files (Renamed txt files) already to go. Count the number required for each season and copy them into the backup directory and rename. Once they have ALL been selected as the backup destination in DVDShrink, delete them and fire off MultiShrink (otherwise it'll ask if you want to overwrite every file). Hope this helps.
i second makemkv its is the only way to go series on dvd
(2012-06-11, 04:36)fnc1 Wrote: [ -> ]i second makemkv its is the only way to go series on dvd

I'll see if i can be a convert esp with one show that has 20 Odd seasons..Confused
I have AnyDVD so add WOB2MPG or Blurip depending on the disc type.
In my opinion there are only 2 options worth bothering with for DVD:

1. Clean ISO rip, dump the entire disc. XBMC can handle a DVD ISO natively so there will be no playback issues. Will take up space though at around 4.7 to 9 GB per disc ripped.

2. MakeMKV - I've used that thing to rip hundreds of DVDs and it's awesome. It also rips to MKV by default which is the best container to be aiming for.

AnyDVD is also very useful for cracking the protection on the discs although MakeMKV does a pretty decent job of handling that itself.
I use Handbrake, I load the DVD and then can rip individual episodes off of it. They are around 350-400meg apiece. As for time consuming, SD video compresses FAST! For a BD I'm not sure how I'd do it but I'd probably try Handbrake for that too but drop it down to 720P for tv shows if not a little lower. Hopefully Handbrake could pull the individual eps from that format as well...
(2012-06-08, 16:13)Gr8rtek Wrote: [ -> ]MakeMKV works well for me, the price is great and you can start the rip process and grab a beer. Be sure to name your episodes correctly so XBMC can scrape them properly!

I'm using makemkv which is great, but the the problem for me is how to name them. MAkemkv's default naming doesn't seem to be scraper friendly.

I am currently producing a directory structure and file names like below, but the scraper doesn't seem to recognize them correctly. How can I do this properly?

V:/TV Shows/Walking Dead/Season 1/Disc 1/Walking_Dead,_The_Season_1,Disc_1_t01.mkv

Thanks for your help.
I'm not sure there's a scraper friendly way to name a file that contains an entire season like that - if there is I want to know so I can finish off my RvB BD that don't seem to be rippable into nice episodes. At the very least I'd drop the directories for each disk and GOP with a more normal naming as per the wiki.

Walking Dead/Season 01/blah.mkv would be way closer to standard...
(2014-01-23, 05:36)BLKMGK Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not sure there's a scraper friendly way to name a file that contains an entire season like that - if there is I want to know so I can finish off my RvB BD that don't seem to be rippable into nice episodes. At the very least I'd drop the directories for each disk and GOP with a more normal naming as per the wiki.

Walking Dead/Season 01/blah.mkv would be way closer to standard...

Thanks BL. What would the standard filename be like? Can you expand on "Blah.mkv"? each mkv is an episode, presumably ...t01.mkv is episode1.
I'm not sure for a file that covers an entire season, even if it could be scraped what would you expect for metadata? You might be better off making your own nfo file honestly.

A standard file name on my system would look like this -> TV/Walking Dead/Season 1/Walking Dead.S01E01.avi for season 1 episode 1. Does that make more sense?
Pages: 1 2