Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Crash on XBMC browsing library - XBMC 12.0-ALPHA3 GIT:20120610-3277107
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys,

I am having a couple of strange problems with the nightly installs from GIT at the moment.

The problems are:
1. Browsing the library in anything but file browsing to the share is causing a crash in XBMC (2 nights in a row now, new nightly didnt help)
I have tried clearing my library (as i originally set it up with eden stable) but that didnt help.
2. Problems with HD movies playing fast and not having passthrough audio via pulseaudio (see note at end)

the relevant info is:
XMB Version: As above, XMBC 12.0-ALPHA3 GIT:20120610-3277107 (plus one before it i didnt note down)
OS - Fedora 17, x86_64 (64 bit)
Install method - from source via GIT. - GIT was current at time of writing (2012-06-12 16:10 +10 GMT)

Instructions to reproduce the error:
1. Install XMBC from GIT (clone, bootstrap, configure, make, make install) (my configure option is ./configure --with-lirc-device=/var/run/lirc/lircd --enable-pulse --enable-libusb --enable-libcec --enable-libmp3lame btw)
2. Add something to the libarry (in this case, i have tested with my TV and movies collections, both produce this crash)
3. Attempt to view the library in full (viewing recent items or browsing to the files via the share works fine however)
4. XBMC dies immediately with a crash message.

The XMBC log for this is here:
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=3471

For some reason i have stopped getting core dumps ( I got them the first few times however), once I have followed the info and gotten one sucessfully i will post that too.

Some quick info btw:
I am trying to get a nightly install going to be able to use pulseaudio's passthrough functionality. I have managed to get my audio to work in the past with stable dharma (and then eden) by crippling pulseaudio in the OS and then pointing XBMC direct to the hw address, however this is not clean, plus means i loose OS sounds and menu sounds within XBMC.

The other problem im having relates to HD movies playing way faster than they should + audio not working but i will do some research and post that in a seperate topic if i cant fix it. I managed to test this by browsing through the SMB share to the files and playing from there. SD movies work fine (both audio and video, not passthrough audio)

I hope i have included all the info (minus the pending backtrace), let me know if i have missed anything....

Cheers!
Ayden
Oh forgot to say, GPU is a NVidia GT520 with NVidia module 295.53, installed via RPMFusion (if it matters)
workaround: move away your .xbmc and let it create a new one.
I am actually having the exact same problems on my newly installed fedora 17 box. It crashes immediately after i select the music, movies or tv series library. It's compiled from GIT (commit 8951f0bba318da052727759e32d294b511a2bd51). I also have the probelm with audio under video not working
This is a minimal install without pulseaudio, and alsa is all set to default (it's brand new)
(2012-06-11, 11:22)wsnipex Wrote: [ -> ]workaround: move away your .xbmc and let it create a new one.

Sorry should have said i had tried that, same problem as previously with the original eden library (unfortunately)
(2012-06-11, 15:39)Darksecond Wrote: [ -> ]I am actually having the exact same problems on my newly installed fedora 17 box. It crashes immediately after i select the music, movies or tv series library. It's compiled from GIT (commit 8951f0bba318da052727759e32d294b511a2bd51). I also have the probelm with audio under video not working
This is a minimal install without pulseaudio, and alsa is all set to default (it's brand new)

Does your video etc work if you play from the files browser and play a standard def file (not bitstream audio)?

Mines ok then, its just the media browsing and any bitstreamed video file, i have not tested music at all yet.

Apparently they do a "mostly" stable release each month and the last one for may included the AudioEngine stuff, but i cant find a way to get that for linux as source (unless you just get the eden branch and it has it, I'm still confused about that all...

Maybe the monthly would be more stable than these nightlys are atm, either way until i get it sorted im contributing reports, so thats a plus!
Iḿ having the same problem, same gpu and same crashing behaviour..
Maybe not a coincidence (gpu related?)
i had the same issue, now i got alpha2 working. i downloaded the source zip file from https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/zipball/Frodo_alpha2

sound (soundengine) is working Smile
xbmc box --- hdmi --> sonytv -- optical ---> soundsystem

# cat /proc/driver/nvidia/version
NVRM version: NVIDIA UNIX x86 Kernel Module 195.36.24 Thu Apr 22 09:18:20 PDT 2010
GCC version: gcc version 4.4.3 (Ubuntu 4.4.3-4ubuntu5)

# cat /proc/driver/nvidia/cards/0
Model: ION
IRQ: 18
Video BIOS: 70.18.45.00.00
Card Type: PCI-E
DMA Size: 40 bits
DMA Mask: 0xffffffffff
Bus Location: 03.00.0

03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GT218 [ION] (rev a2)
(2012-06-11, 17:27)tobi Wrote: [ -> ]i had the same issue, now i got alpha2 working. i downloaded the source zip file from https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/zipball/Frodo_alpha2

sound (soundengine) is working Smile
xbmc box --- hdmi --> sonytv -- optical ---> soundsystem

# cat /proc/driver/nvidia/version
NVRM version: NVIDIA UNIX x86 Kernel Module 195.36.24 Thu Apr 22 09:18:20 PDT 2010
GCC version: gcc version 4.4.3 (Ubuntu 4.4.3-4ubuntu5)

# cat /proc/driver/nvidia/cards/0
Model: ION
IRQ: 18
Video BIOS: 70.18.45.00.00
Card Type: PCI-E
DMA Size: 40 bits
DMA Mask: 0xffffffffff
Bus Location: 03.00.0

03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GT218 [ION] (rev a2)

I want to try your solution as well, but can't get the source compiled.
After downloading & unzipping, i do a ./bootstrap; which fails with this message:
autoreconf: running: automake --add-missing --copy --force-missing
automake: no `Makefile.am' found for any configure output
autoreconf: automake failed with exit status: 1

Probably did something wrong there?

(2012-06-11, 18:11)losje Wrote: [ -> ]Probably did something wrong there?

Indeed something went wrong in the unzip.. disregard my previous comment, compiling now..
(2012-06-11, 16:51)abeeson Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-06-11, 11:22)wsnipex Wrote: [ -> ]...

Sorry should have said i had tried that, same problem as previously with the original eden library (unfortunately)
(2012-06-11, 15:39)Darksecond Wrote: [ -> ]I am actually having the exact same problems on my newly installed fedora 17 box. It crashes immediately after i select the music, movies or tv series library. It's compiled from GIT (commit 8951f0bba318da052727759e32d294b511a2bd51). I also have the probelm with audio under video not working

Does your video etc work if you play from the files browser and play a standard def file (not bitstream audio)?

Mines ok then, its just the media browsing and any bitstreamed video file, i have not tested music at all yet.

Apparently they do a "mostly" stable release each month and the last one for may included the AudioEngine stuff, but i cant find a way to get that for linux as source (unless you just get the eden branch and it has it, I'm still confused about that all...

Maybe the monthly would be more stable than these nightlys are atm, either way until i get it sorted im contributing reports, so thats a plus!

Yes, SD video's without passthrough work fine in git HEAD. it's just the library and HD video's that are broken here. seems like exactly the same problems to me
Ok guys, my system is working fine now!

Thanks going out to Tobi, this release DOES include the HD audio, and the Library is working as well!
I've downloaded the GIT release, dootstrap; configure; make; make install and viola problem solved.

Devs be aware that this is still a bug in the more recent nightly's but for me the workaround is to use the Alpha2.

+1 happy xbmc bleeding edge user Smile
Thanks guys!

I'm compiling now, im at work though so i wont be able to test till i get home, but from the sound of losje its working.

I'll post back and let you know how i go, thanks heaps for the link Tobi!

PS - Do you have any trouble playing DTS etc via the sony TV out the optical? I Had problems with mine a while ago due to the way the TV did the passing of the bitstream and some licensing thing, I dont do it that way anymore, just interested.
(2012-06-12, 02:21)abeeson Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks guys!

I'm compiling now, im at work though so i wont be able to test till i get home, but from the sound of losje its working.

I'll post back and let you know how i go, thanks heaps for the link Tobi!

PS - Do you have any trouble playing DTS etc via the sony TV out the optical? I Had problems with mine a while ago due to the way the TV did the passing of the bitstream and some licensing thing, I dont do it that way anymore, just interested.

The new version has fixed my crashing library problem!

I still have the double speed file playback on HD content though, i will continue to look into this....

Anybody else had this and managed to fix it? I'm using Fedora 17, with a nvidia GT520 card, running through pulseaudio. Automatic device discovery failed so i have pointed an alsa sink straight to the hardware which has caused pulseaudio to find a valid working device.

From what i have read its a sample rate detection issue....
(2012-06-12, 11:48)abeeson Wrote: [ -> ]The new version has fixed my crashing library problem!

I still have the double speed file playback on HD content though, i will continue to look into this....

Anybody else had this and managed to fix it? I'm using Fedora 17, with a nvidia GT520 card, running through pulseaudio. Automatic device discovery failed so i have pointed an alsa sink straight to the hardware which has caused pulseaudio to find a valid working device.

From what i have read its a sample rate detection issue....

I'm using the same GPU and driver as you are, this should work as a charm... (There's hope Wink)

I have seen similar issues before, you could try to disable pulseaudio.
I'm just using ALSA, which eliminated the pulseaudio top layer completely.
Pulse is installed on my system, but XBMC bypasses it via the system->settings->system->audio output

Another possible fix is the fact that xrandr is not working correctly (conflicting xorg settings)
the drawback is that after this xorg.conf, it is not possible to use the GUI nvidia config tool anymore.

I believe the fix was Option "DynamicTwinView" "0"
Not 100% sure though, Here my full xorg.conf:

sander@MediaServer ~ $ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
# nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings
# nvidia-settings: version 295.53 (buildd@promethium) Wed May 16 19:26:33 UTC 2012

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Layout0"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
Option "Xinerama" "0"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# generated from default
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# generated from default
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
# HorizSync source: edid, VertRefresh source: edid
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Unknown"
ModelName "MARANTZ JAPAN, INC. marantz-AVR"
HorizSync 26.0 - 81.0
VertRefresh 24.0 - 75.0
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
BoardName "GeForce GT 520"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Device0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "TwinView" "0"
Option "metamodes" "nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
EndSubSection
Option "DynamicTwinView" "0"
EndSection
hey Losje,

I will have a look at my xorg, tbh i just left it set up as the nvidia module would have done (which is usually crap)

I'm really trying to not bypass pulseaudio, im trying to get this installed as close to stock fedora as possible, i would really like to keep menu / OS sounds if possible, though the temptation to just bypass it has crossed my mind numerous times....

FYI - I have posted my audio / video problem here:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=133835

I'll check the xorg.conf though, cheers!
OK i had a look, my xorg.conf contains:

# RPM Fusion - nvidia-xorg.conf
#
Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "nvidia"
EndSection

I also have an xorg.conf.d folder with a keyboard and nvidia file there, the keyboard one is bog standard, the nvidia one has:
#This file is provided by xorg-x11-drv-nvidia
#Do not edit

Section "Files"
ModulePath "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia"
ModulePath "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"
EndSection

Just enough to find and use the nvidia module, the rest is generated automatically on demand.

It should be ok though, video wise it seems to be ok. The logs seem to show its a pulseaudio thing, hopefully a dev will get back to me about it....

Might just be i have to bypass PA, hope not though....
I'm having the same issue (when entering library view XBMC crashes, no crash in file view). For me the crash occurs only when some of my video locations are password protected. The problem does not occur when I have unlocked the master lock. Do any of you also have password protected locationsHuh