Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: MyPicsDB: Pictures DB with EXIF, IPTC & XMP tags
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

Thanks for a great plugin!

Im using the plugin for my photo collection and everythink it is working fine with the default database (SQLlite)! Now im trying to switch to a MySQL database (5.7.25-0ubuntu0.16.04.2 ). I did all steps to create the MyPicsDB and i changed the configuration in Kodi to use now the MySQL database. After a scan of the folders i was able to browse trough the photos  and i cann display all ("Latest 50 Pics" or "uploads from last 10 days" or "Browse by date". So it seems the photos are in. 

If im changing into the "Browse by Tag" folder i can see all of the tags  and i see also the count how many photos should be in (EXIF and ICMP tags ). If im changing into the specific folder ( for ex. Title), the folder is empty. 

In log file i could see somme errors: 

12:21:19.023 T:764  NOTICE: [My Pictures Database] line    86 in default.py object Main.get_args >> MyPicturesDB plugin called :
12:21:19.023 T:764  NOTICE: [My Pictures Database] line    87 in default.py object Main.get_args >> sys.argv[0] = plugin://plugin.image.mypicsdb/
12:21:19.023 T:764  NOTICE: [My Pictures Database] line    88 in default.py object Main.get_args >> sys.argv[2] = ?action=%27showpics%27&method=%27tag%27&name=%27Gartenteich%20Tino%20(4%20Pics)%27&page=%271%27&tag=%27Gartenteich%20Tino%27&tagtype=%27Title%27&viewmode=%27view%27
12:21:19.966 T:764   ERROR: [My Pictures Database] line   274 in dbabstractionlayer.py object Database abstraction layer >> The request failed :
12:21:19.967 T:764   ERROR: [My Pictures Database] line   275 in dbabstractionlayer.py object Database abstraction layer >> <type 'exceptions.Exception'> - 3065: Expression #1 of ORDER BY clause is not in SELECT list, references column 'MyPicsDB.f.ImageDateTime' which is not in SELECT list; this is incompatible with DISTINCT
12:21:19.967 T:764   ERROR: [My Pictures Database] line   279 in dbabstractionlayer.py object Database abstraction layer >> SQL > SELECT distinct strPath,strFilename FROM Files f, TagContents tc, TagsInFiles tif, TagTypes tt WHERE f.idFile = tif.idFile AND tif.idTagContent = tc.idTagContent AND tc.TagContent = ? and tc.idTagType = tt.idTagType  and length(trim(tt.TagTranslation))>0 and tt.TagTranslation = ?  order by imagedatetime

As i wrote, with the SQLLITE database it is working fine, with MySQL database i do have this issue.

A re-initialization of the MySQL database I have already done several times.
That made me check my log too, I also have a rebuilt server, and I see the same errors. My MySql is 5.5.62
(2019-01-24, 13:30)Termina Wrote: [ -> ]In log file i could see somme errors: 
FYI, please use a pastebin website near you if you are to post log files or snippets thereof. We like to keep our forum server nice and tidy.
Also, providing a full log file can be helpful as errors/bugs can start at any moment. Also machine info can be helpful.
Thanks.
Sorry, you are absolutely right. 

Hi,

Thanks for a great plugin!

Im using the plugin for my photo collection and everythink  is working fine with the default database (SQLlite)! Now im trying to switch to a MySQL database (5.7.25-0ubuntu0.16.04.2 ). I did all steps to create the MyPicsDB and i changed the configuration in Kodi to use now the MySQL database. After a scan of the folders i was able to browse trough the photos  and i cann display all ("Latest 50 Pics" or "uploads from last 10 days" or "Browse by date". So it seems the photos are in. 

If im changing into the "Browse by Tag" folder i can see all of the tags  and i see also the count how many photos should be in (EXIF and ICMP tags ). If im changing into the specific folder ( for ex. Title), the folder is empty. 

Tested on severall hardware (Vero 4k+/Raspi/Windows 10), Kodi versions (Kodi 17/18) and Skins (OSMC/AEON NOX)
MySQL is runnung on UBUNTU: 5.7.25-0ubuntu0.16.04.2 

In log file i could see somme errors. The log file is from Vero 4k+/OSMC and AEON NOX)

https://paste.kodi.tv/epapewexuw.kodi
Thanks all involved dev's for excellent add-on (IMHO it should be part of KODI core!)

Just a question from a somewhat worried user:
As KODI is hitting towards totally new Python, how is this add-on affected?
Is anyone with knowledge planning to update MyPicsDB for combability (please!)?
I wish someone would convert this amazing add-on to Python 3 compatible version but I'm afraid it won't happen.
Add-on author Last Visit: 2019-09-13, 09:32
Don't know if someone can step in and continue development though.
Gave a look at it, bit it's hideously complex (looks like it was an attempt to use some other code by adding to it the Kodi hooks).

scott s.
(2021-01-10, 13:42)JockeSve Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks all involved dev's for excellent add-on (IMHO it should be part of KODI core!)

So many years and team KODI does not notice how important a DB is for pictures! Why? Because almost everybody uses some kind of picture manager today and most of them work with a DB... KODI does not... It's a shame! Sad
(2021-02-15, 22:38)Ubuntubirdy Wrote: [ -> ]So many years and team KODI does not notice how important a DB is for pictures! Why? Because almost everybody uses some kind of picture manager today and most of them work with a DB
If everyone already uses their favorite picture manager, why should we reinvent the wheel? A proper picture/photo manager will do so much more. Editing & updating metadata in photo files, moving photo folders/collections from one location to another, among other things. There is currently no intention of adding such a full-blown photo manager section to Kodi: the UI/UX would be too limited IMHO. As an example, try doing your whole photo management with only your TV remote control. It's unworkable.

Kodi will only be a photo viewer. A pics-db could be helpful for certain search or listing functionality, but file management (other than deleting files) on top of that is not to be expected. Right now, Team Kodi has its hands full with current release of Matrix. But as always, PRs are certainly welcomed in all Kodi areas.

(2021-02-15, 22:38)Ubuntubirdy Wrote: [ -> ]KODI does not... It's a shame!
Two posts you have written so far on this forum, one per year, and both of them is you whining over how things are wrong in Kodi with no helping hand whatsoever.
We'll be looking forward to your next complaint in 2022.
@Klojum 
Quote:A pics-db could be helpful for certain search or listing functionality ...

That's exactly my point, not a complaint.
I'd like to see a picture/photo DB that can be centrally managed, with support for EXIF tags, dates and camera info among other "good to have" features.
MyPicsDB tics all those boxes, but sadly there isn't interest and or time enough at "people with skills" to integrate it into KODI core (just like Movies-, Music- and TV-DB).

With a large amount of photos (>30 000 and counting) the indexing and search functionality is crucial.

Why pictures part is treated differently from other types of media is somewhat a mystery...
(2021-02-16, 11:46)JockeSve Wrote: [ -> ]Why pictures part is treated differently from other types of media is somewhat a mystery...

I'd say it's a separate type of expertise. Don't ask a baker how many types of meat there are on a farm... (or something similar).

And yes, Team Kodi has some personnel problems to solve in Windows and Android areas alone. We are 'hiring' new people as much as possible, but it's not like we can open up a can with fresh developers. It still is open-source. People contribute where then can, when they can. And Kodi is not an easy beast to handle code-wise (from what I've been told), so it'll need to work from a powerful PC to a Raspberry Pi 2/3 with SDcards, and everything in between.

I wish I could offer you my services, but I'm not a software developer in Team Kodi. I do have some programming as well as SQL database background where I could help out, but Python and C++ are basically Chinese to me.

I'm not sure if something internal is to be created (for speed considerations, scraping 30,000+ photos will take some time) when scanning/reading photos for EXIF content, or that an external like EXITtool can be implemented. It's gonna be quite the database when I look quickly at this fields listing -> https://exiftool.org/TagNames/EXIF.html But that you probably already knew as this thread started in 2012.. Rolleyes
(2021-02-16, 12:42)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-02-16, 11:46)JockeSve Wrote: [ -> ]Why pictures part is treated differently from other types of media is somewhat a mystery...

I'd say it's a separate type of expertise. Don't ask a baker how many types of meat there are on a farm... (or something similar).

And yes, Team Kodi has some personnel problems to solve in Windows and Android areas alone. We are 'hiring' new people as much as possible, but it's not like we can open up a can with fresh developers. It still is open-source. People contribute where then can, when they can. And Kodi is not an easy beast to handle code-wise (from what I've been told), so it'll need to work from a powerful PC to a Raspberry Pi 2/3 with SDcards, and everything in between.

I wish I could offer you my services, but I'm not a software developer in Team Kodi. I do have some programming as well as SQL database background where I could help out, but Python and C++ are basically Chinese to me.

I'm not sure if something internal is to be created (for speed considerations, scraping 30,000+ photos will take some time) when scanning/reading photos for EXIF content, or that an external like EXITtool can be implemented. It's gonna be quite the database when I look quickly at this fields listing -> https://exiftool.org/TagNames/EXIF.html But that you probably already knew as this thread started in 2012.. Rolleyes

Yepp, it took quite a while even if I took help from a really powerful workstation (borrowed) at the time. But it's "only" a one time task...
The DB was more or less running at 99-100% all the time.

My concern is that the photo/picture part seems to be pretty much overlooked.
Nothing (at least visible) has been added/changed last few releases.
And with the new Python 3 release around corner, the last fully featured tool stops working...

Anyway, thanks for info and reply!!
(2021-02-16, 14:02)JockeSve Wrote: [ -> ]My concern is that the photo/picture part seems to be pretty much overlooked.
Nothing (at least visible) has been added/changed last few releases.

I can't deny that. Perhaps moving pictures are simply more interesting than still ones.
I'm pretty sure You're right there @Klojum, and kind of fully understandable but still a bit frustrating looking from my corner...
I'm, too, searching for a solution to get a kind of picture database. I might have a programming idea howto get a solution: I'm using digikam to maintain all my photos. And digikam stores many of the photo metadata within a sqlite database - its size is around 17 MB for 19.000 pictures. Since for me kodi gets the same folder structure as I use for digikam, why not simply re-use the existing database to feed the kodi picture DB? Thus at least this might be a quick solution to get the input data for the kodi picture database. Major task of course would be to implement the GUI for kodi to use that data.

Of course this is only an idea - I do not plan to work on it. But maybe someone searching for a nice kodi project might work on it?

Regards, Michael