Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Just stumbled onto XBMC ! - Thank you all !!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all, my name is Shane and I am coming over to the XBMC from having a WD Live TV Plus media player - VERY glad to have found this place...
I have a fairly decent media library on a Qnap 6TB NAS drive that I play through a WD Live TV Plus media player.
I had no clue that this XBMC system was even around until I just stumbled onto it while looking for newer/better media players.
While the WD is ok, it is nothing like the what you guys offer here!!!! I would have directed my efforts and time to getting this up and running instead of my hacked WD system with WDLX firmware etc...
With the WD system, I could create my movie sheets using ThumbGen, set up the configurations on the web end config etc and it was relatively simple once you understand that stuff.
I figure that XBMC is similar ??

I do have some simple quick questions though...

Q: When i get the XBMC up and running, am I able to sort through my movies (I have about 1100+ mkv movie files, 400+ TV shows) with different genres and New Releases?

Its the inability to sort using New Releases on my WD system that drives me crazy - can the XBMC do this??

Also, while I am on a steep learning surve, i will get a ATV2 and get it up and running on this before I jump into a proper media server...

Q: Would learning on a ATV2 be a good start?

so, I also must say THANK YOU to all for providing this XBMC support !

I wish that I could have found this sooner, but better late than never !
(PS: I am useless at Lynux, so hopefully that isnt a problem...)
1) Yes, XBMC has a web gui that you can manage movie info from. I'm not sure what movie "sheets" are though

2) Yes, you can sort by recently added movies or by year (or many other ways) but you have to make sure the movies are scanned into the library first.

3) ATV would be a good start, though it may struggle with full 1080P rips.

XBMC runs on all platforms, so use what you are familiar with.
The movie sheets are the general background screen info - movie writeup, fan art, etc... Its just a full screen .jpg that shows all the movie (or tv show) info.
So when you roll over the thumbnails, the screen changes to the appropriate movie.

I realize that the ATV 2 doesnt support 1080, but hopefully the ATV3 will be cracked soon...

any suggestions for a stand alone player that supports 1080p ? most of my mkv's are 8G + in size...
I dont want to build a media server just yet though...
Ok, well when xbmc scans movies into your library it will pull the appropriate info including posters, fanart, plot, genre, etc automatically. (You can edit this manually if you like).

Check in the hardware section of the forum about stand alone/ prebuilt computers.

Why don't you just try xbmc on a computer you currently have? it works on windows, mac, and linux.
I only have a laptop computer in the house which is turned off most of the time, so it isnt really an option - I like the ATV2 solution, but I know that it doesnt play 1080p at the moment.

My Qnap NAS drive is a perfect piece of the media puzzle as its on all the time on the network. - just need the player now...

Just wanted to see if there was another option for 1080p.
He means install the windows version on your PC to try it out and play around with its features. He is not suggesting you use your desktop as your permanent xbmc machine.
gotcha - I'll do it for sure...
Once I have my movie/media library attached to XBMC is it possible for it to search for New Releases?
How are New Releases searched??

Thanks!
I build a HTPC with an Intel i3 2100 SandyBridge.
Just configuring everything and am about to bring in my library.
Just trying to figure it all out..

Thanks for the advice!
(2012-06-15, 20:40)Shane1 Wrote: [ -> ]The movie sheets are the general background screen info - movie writeup, fan art, etc... Its just a full screen .jpg that shows all the movie (or tv show) info.
So when you roll over the thumbnails, the screen changes to the appropriate movie.
The beauty of XBMC, welcome to it Smile
There are a lot of skins which are able to show what you want from the selection screen - for example AEON Nox (some screenshots: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=130409 ). So, you have something even better than "movie sheets", give it go - I'm sure you'll love the heck out of it once you're into it. I also suggest that you skim through my guide (linked in my signature) for XBMC. It will introduce you to a lot of XBMC-awesomeness .