Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC vs. Powerdvd for Blu-ray playback
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So basically now XBMC can do bit streaming (minus the audio bug I have), with AnyDVD HD, it can in theory play any disc format without ripping.

I really don't need access to a menu, but it some cases there we be issues, like how to handle different cuts of films, such as the Alien series which as the extended and the original cut on the same disc, right now Powerdvd will allow me to select which version without issue.

XBMC will play whatever chapter it comes up with first, as far I can tell.

Beyond that I am trying to get away from PowerDVD and all that crap. But I always heard that Powerdvd had a decent video decoder/software for blu ray, and XBMC uses Mplayer.

So I rather move just to AnyDVD HD and remove PowerDVD. But the question remains is it possible to figure out which version of the film you are on or select different streams?
XBMC doesn't use Mplayer it uses its own build in player called dvdplayer (old xbox name) and ffmpeg to decode most things
had a feelin I got that wrong. But from what I can tell it does playback just fine from blu ray discs
on the topic of bluray menus, does XBMC/dvdplayer/ffmpg have support for AnyDVD speed menus?
As i understand it creates a simplified menu which lists the content on the bluray disk which i guess is in a simple menu format and not the complex Java format, if it was to support this then potentially you could select the different versions of movies such as directors cut, theatrical etc.
tried that option and no menu displayed in xbmc
In nightly builds, XBMC supports the HDMV menus, but will not support any BD-J menu for now (no open source support for it yet - we're waiting for the VLC guys to finish their work IIRC). Unfortunately most newer Blurays come with BD-J. If a disk is authored in BD-J format, XBMC will/should give you a list of tracks and their length to choose from - but I won't tell you wich track is f.e. the directors cut as this information is not available for BD-J menus.
well that makes a lot more sense, hopefully I can figure something out that will please the wife Wink

Since sony are anal about the format; are there any legal issues using work arounds for the menu systems? Since they have paid licensing and whatnot (hopefully xbmc will never go the official route as the bluray license has that nasty audio drm detector thing.)
(2012-06-19, 13:40)da-anda Wrote: [ -> ]In nightly builds, XBMC supports the HDMV menus, but will not support any BD-J menu for now (no open source support for it yet - we're waiting for the VLC guys to finish their work IIRC). Unfortunately most newer Blurays come with BD-J. If a disk is authored in BD-J format, XBMC will/should give you a list of tracks and their length to choose from - but I won't tell you wich track is f.e. the directors cut as this information is not available for BD-J menus.
I believe the Anydvdhd Speed Menu's are in the HDMV format, so it should be possible to rip any blu-ray with replacement HDMV menus. Has anyone tried Anydvdhd Speed Menu's with one of the latest nightlies with HDMV menu support?

I cannot figure out what'll happen on XBMC playing blue-ray disc, but form above talking, it seems to have some problem, right?
(2012-06-22, 12:35)adsi Wrote: [ -> ]I cannot figure out what'll happen on XBMC playing blue-ray disc, but form above talking, it seems to have some problem, right?
Blu-Ray support is slowly improving. Eden brought playback from ISO files as long as they are decrypted first or decrypted on fly with something like Anydvdhd which added to the existing folder playback. For both ISO & folder playback XBMC jumps to the longest playlist and starts to play it, with Eden no form of menus is supported. With the Frodo development builds HDMV menu support has been introduced, however as most blu-rays use java menus, this still means no menus with retail discs. I believe there has also been work to produce a XBMC generated playlist selection menu/pop up, not sure if this was part of the HDMV support so maybe not in the nightlies yet.

What doesn't appear clear at the moment is whether the Speed Menu Anydvdhd can generate are compatible with the XBMC HDMV support. It appears to have been tested without success above, but that would be expected if it was Eden used for testing, for these new features it would be best to test with the latest nightly build.

I just tried speedmenu with XBMC Alpha 2 and AnyDVD HD 7.0.4.0 and the menu partially works. There seems to be some issues; after selecting what to play the menu remained on screen and I also didn't get any audio until I manually switched audio track.
progress! love it!
Any news about?
I too am wondering if there has been any progress with this. I'm having a different issue though, as I'm using Eden and have not experimented with any of the nightlies and/or Frodo. My issue seem so to be when watching Toy Story 3 XBMC pulls up the version that uses French for the movie title and some of the onscreen wording, however it still uses the English DTS HD Master Audio track. Is this the same issue with XBMC pulling the largest file to play, or is this something else? This is the only Blu-ray I've watched that this does this with. I've experienced different issues, i.e. one of the Fast and the Furious movies (can't recall which one right now) plays a track from the Blu-ray that is enclosed in a small frame and is far from Blu-ray quality and/or sound.

Is there any work being done for XBMC to use BD-J menus with Blu-ray's?
Pages: 1 2