Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: HDMI issues with MP3
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi,

I don't know where to post this, but here goes;

I am using XBMC for OSX on a Mac Mini 2011. All is working but for one little annoying thing. I have my Mac Mini hooked up to a Denon Amp, via HDMI, and then the Denon linked to the TV. In the system settings I have selected sound via HDMI, DD, DTS ready, and 7.1 for speakers. On the Denon it receives video and sound via HDMI, all digital.

Is works fine when playing a video file, where the sound is DTS etc., but... when I play an MP3 file, be it music or video, I get no sound in the right front speakerHuh I have tried everything; setting it all up from scratch, playing around with the output settings on the Denon Amp (including Direct Pass), 7.1 -> 5.1 in XBMC, no stereo to all speakers, etc. but it still makes no difference; when playing MP3 sound, XBMC passes no sound to the right front channel via HDMI.

I then tried changing sound to pass via Optical, and that works great. So it is an HDMI issue. Also, it is definitely an XBMC issue, because in OSX, using iTunes, MP3 play flawlessly via HDMI, selected in preferences.

I am using the overnight builds, but it has been an issue for a while now.

/Bo
we are aware of it ... only happens on lion. But thx for the info that it works with optical. No solution yet.
What is the option then to have it working, go back to 11.0? I tried that but "lost" the database, meaning I would have to rescan everything... Is that normal?
well its "normal" because current nightlies are using newer incompatible databese shemes thene eden.
So the nightly build I installed changed the DB scheme, and Eden (11.0) can not read it, and not revert it ti the original one?

/Bo
XBMC should have copied the DB and left the old copy behind. You should see something like MyVideos60.db (Eden version) and MyVideos64.db (or something like that for the nightly) in xbmc/userdata (wiki)/databases/
I have a bunch of files, but only one of each;

Addpns15.db
commoncache.db
MyMusic20.db
MyPrograms3.db
MyVideos64.db
Textures13.db
ViewModes4.db

It seems the 11.0 DBs are missing, but I can't figure out why/how... I had it all up and running on 11.0 when it first came out, and don't think I have deleted anything in the meanwhile.

/Bo
You should also be able to export the library in Settings/Videos/Library (wiki) (single file) while on the nightly, and then go back to v11 and reimport the library.
Just a FYI, this is still happening with nightly on ML. Any video that uses mp3 codec (regardless of container AVI or MKV) when played on 7.1 HDMI produces no sound. The videos play fine with any other player and AAC plays fine.
xbmc.log (wiki)
I'm having this same problem with Frodo. I just now switched to using HDMI audio output and. Everything works except for mp3 audio for some reason. My log is here. It's spitting out errors where audio is concerned:

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=25990
I had the same problem, I set the speakers to 2.0 in the system audio settings and it solved it.

Oddly, it doesnt seems to affect anything anyway, I still get surround sound from my DTS/DD movies even if I set my speakers to 2.0 in the settings.

Do that and you will get your sound back. Well, it worked for me, not a single problem since I did this.
Unfortunately, that doesn't work for me. Changed it to 2 channels in Audio Midi Setup, even restarted the computer. I still get the same errors from XBMC specifically on mp3 files and no audio.

Sorry. I realized you meant the audio settings within XBMC. Thanks for the tip. Worked!
Great ! Smile
In general passthrough of encoded audio will work regardless of speaker settings, so set them according to your non-passthrough format (usually 2.0). I don't do the dev for OSX so not sure what that would do for 5.1 FLAC, but just wanted to give a general guideline.
Pages: 1 2 3