Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: 5.1 DD
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I've got a two part question regarding 5.1 sound on Eden 11. #1 Does XBMC playback video programming in 5.1 Dolby Digital sound if the source is offering it? #2 If this is true for the most part on certain movies and tv programming, is it possible that my iMac cannot decode the signal? I ask these questions since I am curious if it is possible for my specific year Mac. My iMac is a late 2007 model and doesn't have an HDMI output, but it does have separate DVI and optical audio outputs. I have the picture going through an adapter and into an HDMI cable into the back of my BRAVIA TV. I know the 5.1 audio works on the output of my Mac since I can play a regular DVD and my Onkyo receiver will decode the sound just fine. It will also decode DTS if available. When I play movies from XBMC, I see that it only outputs the sound to Prologic 2 on my receiver through the optical cable and I know that I am missing half the action. I always have to change the audio input source to my Mac when I use XBMC. I have XBMC set up to use my TV as the primary monitor and to blank out my computer's display as well as use the iMac's remote inplace of using it for Front Row, so it's a pretty sweet set up for now but to have the sound also in DD would also be a nice option. There is no issue with my Internet speed as I have just upgraded to a very fast 25+MBps cable package. The only other option would be to get an Apple TV and let it do the decoding. I have heard about AAC and AC3 but don't know what the difference is. If no one has any idea of what I am talking about I may have to do the research on it myself. I thought it might be a setting on my Mac or a codec that I need from somewhere. My Mac is running on OSX version 10.6.8 Snow Leopard. Thanks if you can help.
activate ac3 and dts compatible receiver in your settings-system-audio settings. in xbmc.
It is already set to those settings in XBMC. I can play a DVD and the 5.1 will show up on my receiver. Not when I play movies from online sources however. I was wondering if the new sound engine could be of some help somehow. I wouldn't know how to get it to work. What would I need to do to get it going since I already have "Eden"? It may be a computer issue.
if you have enabled 5.1 passthrough already and get 5.1 sound from dvd then i really doubt that your online streaming source has 5.1 sound in it...