Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Live TV plugins buffer excessively
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Right, I've spent a while trying to work out what this might be, and I can't, so I'm just trying to gauge whether I'm the only person who gets this...

My hardware spec is a bog-standard Asrock ION330 (Atom 330, Nvidia ION, 2GB RAM), and whenever I try to watch live TV using either iPlayer or TVCatchup, it will play maybe 30 seconds, then buffer for a few, then maybe 30-60 seconds more, buffer, and so on. I thought initially it was a software problem, as this system started as XBMCLive a couple of years ago and has been hacked around and upgraded a few times, so over this weekend I did a clean install of Ubuntu 12.04 x64, layered XBMC on top (from the official universe repos), and configured it for the basics. However, I'm still getting the problem. I don't have a logfile handy but will get one tonight, however I do remember the type of message I was getting would be "asked for data packet, nothing available".

I don't believe this is a problem with my internet connection, as it's a rock-solid 12Mb/s (the line is actually capable of 18, the 12 is an ISP-level cap due to the package I pay for) and I don't have a problem using these services in a browser from my desktop computer upstairs. I do have a HE.net IPv6 tunnel enabled, however this is also advertised to my home LAN using radvd, so either both the HTPC and my desktop are using IPv6, or they're both using IPv4, and yet still one works and one doesn't. I also don't remember it happening with the Dharma release of XBMC (or if it did, it wasn't every time),

Does anyone else find their experience mirroring mine, and have you/how did you solve it?

Cheers!
You could try upping the buffer size in advancedsettings.xml.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=134716

Code:
<network>
     <cachemembuffersize>size in bytes</cachemembuffersize>
</network>

I can't remember what the default is for that though.
I've now tried setting it to 4MB (the advancedsettings.xml documentation doesn't mention the default figure, but their examples show 0.5MB so I'm assuming that's it) but I'm still getting the same problem Sad this is rather confusing and highly annoying!

edit - it's not 0.5MB, I misread, it's 5MB in the examples. So I guess I've actually reduced the buffer, which of course won't help! I'll put it up to 8MB and see how we get on..

edit 2 - 8MB didn't seem to help at all Sad
Try setting it to 0 and see if it helps.
Now tried 0 as well, and no difference there either. If anything it buffered more often. I might try and find a spare disk and put a copy of Dharma on, if I can find one, and see what happens when I load that up with the same plugins, as I don't recall this happening on old releases.