Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMCBuntu Audio in desktop but not Media Center
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
In XBMC i get no audio either from HDMI or from headphone jacks when playing videos (.flv files) but I do hear the beeps and boops when navigating around the menu.

For the Audio issues I ran alsamixer and nothing was muted
i ran speaker-test -D plug:hdmi and I got audio out of the headphone jack, not the HDMI to TV

lspci | grep -i audio gives:
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel corporation 82801H (ICH* Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 02)

aplay -l gives:
Card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: STAC92xx analog [Stac92xx Analog]
subdevices: 1/1
sub device #0: subdevice #0
Card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: STAC92xx digital [Stac92xx digital]
Card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]

at this point TV audio from HDMI is just a "nice to have" id be delighted if i could get audio from the jacks during video play in XBMC.

could .flv files be the issue?
I'm usiing a Dell m1330 which seem to have lots of HDMI audio issues

thanks
so I downloaded VLC player through the desktop and that will play my video and audio files with the audio coming out of the headphone jack.
but they still don't work in the media center.

i'd appreciate any ideas.

not sure if there is any further info/logs you guys need to diagnose this.

edit: tried following these instructions because, hey, why not.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/Installing...verModules

the problem is when i do uname -r i get

3.0.0-16 generic

which is not one of the packages listed in Synaptic. It lists -14, -15, and -20

on another note, this forum is extremely slow when browsing using chromium but seems fine when using my mac.

VLC is now playing video and audio through the HDMI to my TV which is great - but it still won't play in media center. no matter what settings i enter it always says "audio could not initialize"

in VLC the settings are
Ouptut module: Alsa audio output
Use S/PDIF when available (checked)
Device: HDA Intel: HDMI 0 (hw:0,3)
solved?
its working, for now, but I'm not entirely sure why. I did download what appeared to be some drivers for the Intel GM965 Chipset, which could have been the key. linking to debug logs for working and non-working instances in case anyone feels like going through it for fun.

debug 1 http://pastebin.com/paY6Abm5

debug 2 http://pastebin.com/7aMen9TU
Same with me, any luck?

root@HTPC:~# aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 1: STAC92xx Digital [STAC92xx Digital]
Subdevices: 1/1
card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
Subdevices: 1/1
root@HTPC:~#
I suggest you guys try the beta frodo build.. Setting up audio with the new audioengine is the easiest its ever been.
Oh, boy.... how stable is it to run in a mission-critical production environment? Will it eat my cat and kill my dog? Smile
Serious now, can I reuse my userdata folder? What kind of glitches should I expect? Will I be able to watch my shows without too much hassle?
i think it'll pretty much upgrade everything with a minimum of fuss, the DB gets updates etc but it keeps it all there.

I would take an export of your library anyway but the beta build seems stable enough so far.
I've been using it for a while and its seems fairly stable, although I've had a few crashes. Frodo upgrades you database but keeps a Eden compatible version, but make a backup of your ~/.xbmc folder and that way it's easily reversible.
I gave it a try. Sound now works out of the box, very nice! Interface is very pleasant and overall seems gorgeous. No trouble setting up with my LG TV via HDMI (not tested HDMI sound yet). I am experiencing lots of crashes though, only when on XBMC, desktop runs fine. It works for a while and at random times it hangs completely, only solution is hard reboot. It has an ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics. Any hint on what to disable to workaround?
Kudos to all XBMC team, looking forward RC and stable.
Are you using the proprietary Amd drivers or open source ones? And xbmc and compiz don't play nice, make sure copiz isn't running when xbmc is. Check out and post your xbmc debug log files too
Either disable menu sounds or add <streamsilence> to advancedsettings.xml or both

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Aud...d_settings

uNi

I guess I am using the proprietary drivers, since CCC is there and works. I made a plain simple install from XBMCbuntu live USB stick on another 8GB kinkgston USB stick (mounted /var and swap on hard disk), did not mess anything other than give a static ip address. No compiz. BTW, official android remote did not work with frodo.
Will only be able to play again tomorrow, will send logs then.
@mmerlone

The suggestion on above post is for you.

uNi
(2012-11-23, 13:40)uNiversal Wrote: [ -> ]@mmerlone

The suggestion on above post is for you.

uNi

Smile
Will try tomorrow and post here. Tks!
Disabling menu sounds made no difference. Will try <streamsilence> (is it the same?) with logs just tomorrow.
Pages: 1 2