Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Tvheadend - ATSC streaming subtitles
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help, and apologies that my searches thus far haven't turned up a good answer to this question.

My basic question: what is the best way to get Closed Caption subtitles to appear when streaming ATSC tv through tvheadend via xbmc and playing back tvheadend recordings?

Setup details are below, but the short version is that I wasn't able to get any closed captions at all using the standard version of TVheadend, so I switched to EricV's build, which is able to record to .TS instead of just MKV. This represents partial success, as the .TS files that I've recorded do have the subtitle / closed caption streams within (I can see them in VLC). XBMC cannot display the subtitles in the .TS files I record or in live TV. If I use the "CCextractor" application after tvheadend records .TS files, it will create a companion SRT file that xbmc can play. But that only works for recordings, and not live TV.

The "teletext" button shows up in both the stock and EricV builds of TVheadend but has never done anything.

As a side note, any build of TVheadend I use isn't able to completely play back recordings -- they will simply stop after 5 or 15 minutes. I have worked around this by sharing the recording directory and watching my DVR recordings through the standard "Video --> Files" method and they play fine (but again, only display subtitles if I have taken the step of using CCextractor to make an SRT file).

Many of the threads I have read refer to DVB content, which I believe is different from ATSC (woefully ignorant on this, but I *think* this is rest-of-the-world vs a US thing).

I did see in one thread a recommendation to use the "opdenkamp" build of TVheadend, but I'm not certain: would this allow me to still record in TS format? Does this build play nice with ATSC captions? (If it does ATSC CC in MKV, I don't need TS, although I do like TS better as I can edit the files myself in things like VideoReDo, so it would be a plus.)

Should I switch to the opdenkamp build? Is there a different/better way to get the subs to appear on live ATSC tv streams?

Thanks in advance for any insights!

-------
My setup:

Acer Aspire Revo 1600 (stock but 2GB RAM)
HDhomerun (dual tuner, old school version)
TV source is Comcast QAM ATSC
XBMCfreak Frodo Pre-Alpha (12.04ubuntu)
Tvheadend, EricV's build
The version of ffmpeg included with xbmc can't decode the ATSC subtitles from the transport stream(TS file). See here for more details. If you have some c experience you could try to patch the code from the version of ffmpeg included with MythTV as it contains the necessary code. I plan to do it but my time is limited.
Ah, gotcha. My Linux skills / coding skills are nil, so that'd be way out of my league, but I definitely appreciate the explanation. If you're able to make it work or provide guidance on doing that, please let me know! Thanks!