Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: DIY MoCA / EoC Hardware?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone,

I was looking for ways to get ethernet over co-axial cable and ran across this blog, http://wifiovercoax.mcleodnet.com/. He did this 6 years ago, without expensive hardware, just an F-type connector and some 'cheap' routers from best buy. I am a noob when it comes to electrical wiring and stuff, but I believe this should be possible today. If so, are we grossly overpaying for ethernet over co-ax boxes (~$60-$100), when all it takes is an coupled F-type female connector and a RT-TNC female connector?
This is what I did https://wiki.bitlair.nl/Pages/Ethernet_over_phone_cable
It should work over coax as well, just don't try to send a tv signal over the same coax.
I was trying to avoid buying anything...Also I am trying to get ethernet from upstairs bedroom to basement where switch is located, so powerline networking isn't a great option (I've read that if they're not on the same circuit, it doesn't work as effectively).

Also, in the above, blog, he was able to combine the TV signal and the router signal as they used different frequencies.
If you only want to send wifi over coax, then all you have to do is connect the coax cable to the wifi connectors of the access point and wifi nic, if you want to send a tv signal as well, you need two diplexers to split the tv and wifi frequencies.
Perfect! Thanks for the help. Nice to know that it's possible. Quick question though. If all that someone needs for EoC is two cheap routers, how come people pay so much for MoCA hardware? It's easily over $60 per converter, and you need one on each side... I feel like buying two cheap routers and installing DD-WRT on them is a great DIY method to get Ethernet everywhere in the house for XBMC users.
MoCa is a completely different technology, it's more comparable to ethernet over powerlines, in fact the processor in my homeplug adapters can also be used for MoCa.
I do agree on the price being far too high though, it should cost about the same as a homeplug adapter.