Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: ADD TV TAB AFTER THE FACT
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When i set XBMC up, as i recall, there was an option to set up a tab for recorded TV shows. I don't have a video card installed so i said "NO", and now in the main menu there is no "TV" tab ... just music/videos/movies/etc.

But I have a ton of previously-recorded TV shows and need the tab.

Any way to change the menu to include this tab without a fresh install?

ps: what's the diff between the 'videos' tab and the 'movies' tab? If videos is for personal recorded video, is there a way to DELETE this tab? Or, can it be renamed?

THXTHXTHXTHXTHX in advance!
You mean like this: Adding videos to the library (wiki)

Once TV shows are scanned into the library, the option should become available.

If you already have shows scanned in and the tab is still not showing up, check out your skin settings (wiki). You'll also find the option to hide "videos" there as well.

"Videos" can have TV Shows and Movies as a sub menu if you want to have less options on the main part of the menu, and it also serves as a way to access your videos that are not scanned into the library.
Hey ---- thanks for the instant reply!

OK - you were right; I had not added any TV shows to the library (because i was worried i'd get 500 or 1,000 or however many I have TV shows mixed in with all the movies). But, I now did so with several shows (they are grouped into discrete folders, so i added them as separate sources, picked the scraper.

When I check "files" they now show up.

BUT ....

I still don't have a "TV" tab on the top menu. I have the following:
Weather ... Pictures ... Videos ... Movies ... Music ... System

Isn't there a tab for "TV" ?
ps: I do NOT have the button set for "Hide TV" in system setup
In File view, if you press "i" or bring up the contextual menu and select "get info" does it show a summary and cover art on the TV shows? if not, then XBMC might not have correctly scanned in the TV show.
pps: the "Hide TV" button is greyed out. However, when i go into files and then into one of the TV sources the very top left of the screen, where it's indicated the folder you are in, says "videos >>> TV Shows". It seems there ARE TV shows in the files, but (maybe) XBMC is not seeing them as TV shows? The scraper I selected is TVDB.
I'm not seeing the "get info" option. When I go into Files, then into a TV source folder, then drill down to an individual TV show ... I see an option titled "Episode Information", but when I click on that nothing happens. The episode plays, but seems to not be showing up as a tv program.
Maybe I have the folder structure incorrect for XBMC? Let's take a fictituous TV show called "24". I have a source just for that, referring to a folder on a hard drive. Inside that folder are folders for each year. Inside them are folders for each episode. Inside each of them are the individual files for an episode.

Does this matter?

Do the TV Show names have to be exactly what is on file with TVDB for the file to even be recognized as a TV show, or is it enough to specify TVDB as a scraper? The naming format I'm using is like this: "24 (2002) Episode 3"
Right click or push "c" on the videos/files/tv shows and select scan to library
Thx again!

Trying, but not yet figuring out what I'm doing wrong. BTW - using Eden on a Win 7 machine.

Here is exactly what I've done:

1. Naming: went back into a TV Show folder and renamed one season to match the convention (ABC.S01E01, etc.). Had each episode in it's own folder inside a master folder for the season, inside a grand master folder for the show. Instead, moved all the re-named episodes into a single folder named "ABC".

2. Source: Selected the path to this ABC folder. Specified The TVDB as the scraper ("This Directory contains TV Xhows"; "Current Scraper The TBDB"). "Yes" for 'Run Automated Scan'. "No" for both 'Selected folder contains a single TV show' & also 'Exclude path from library updates''. In Settings: "Use DVD Order" was greyed out. "Yes" for both 'Use absolute ordering' & 'Enable fanart'. "No" for 'Prefer posters'. "En" for 'language.

3. In VIDEO >> FILES >> "ABC": Right clicked, chose "Search for new content" (it scanned, but didn't seem to find any). Double clicked on "ABC" - all of the individual Episode files were there for the Season. Highlighted one and right clicked. Selected "Update library" (it scanned, but i think it didn't find anything new).

4. Went back to the top menu. There was no top level button for "TV Shows" Under "Video" was only the following: Files; Library; Add-Ons.

Any of this help to see what I have messed up?
ps: Under "Video" >> "Files" I do not have "TV Shows" ----- all that is there are the various sources and an "Add a Source" icon. One of the sources is "ABC", in which are the ABC Episodes.
GOT IT !!!

Something to do with the folder structure I had, though i don't know what i changed to get it to work.

Thanks both of you for the great help!
Another question about naming. Well, 2 questions:

1. How do you handle naming for a "prequel"? Do you give it Episode # 0, or something like: ABC.E05Prequel?

2. What do you do is a TV show was on, was cancelled for a while, and then was reincarnated? For example, ABC aired for a few seasons in the 1980s and then stopped. Then, in 2005, a show with the same name aired. How do you name them so that TVDB will pick them up right (I checked TVDB and BOTH appear ... but i don't see on their site where then naming convention ABC.XX.YY shows up.
You've got the answer right there. Go to http://thetvdb.com/ and look up the show and episode and name it to match their conventions. Specials are usually S00Exx. Duplicate show names are usually distinguished by using the year after the name of the second and subsequent ones such as Parenthood for the original series and Parenthood 2010 for the second parenthood series. Episode names on thetvdb don't actually contain ExxSxx but they are broken down into season folders and episodes are numbered, from that you can deduce the Season and Episode numbers.

Mike

PS> my episode names and the generally accepted convention look like this
Parenthood (2010) - S01E02 - Man Versus Possum

THANKS, Diligaf!

OK - on TVDB I see, for this one show's "special" (a prequel to the season), the following:

Year: 1998, Season 4

Episodes ........ Title

Special ............ xbcde
1 ......................ahllenrv
2 ...................... jv'oqn'qn
etc.

When I click on "Special" a new screen opens saying:

ABC
Specials
xbcde

Aired episode # : 9
Aired before: 04x01

- makes me think there were 8 earlier "specials'
- The total episodes before season 4 were about 100, so when they said "aired episode 9" they were ONLY referring to specials ~~~ there were 8 prior SPECIALS.
- Then, how do i refer XBMC to the 9th special? maybe: "ABC.s04.s09" HuhHuh? (i.e., use 's' for season and also 's' for special) Or, maybe: "ABC.S00.E09" (i.e., Season zero) HuhHuh?
GOT IT!

Season zero .........
I added the source (TV shows) the shows were all messed up and missing. named just like it says on wiki. Tab for tv showed up. I went back and removes the source and tried adding downloaded tv shows to see if they would show up and nothing...no tv tab no tv shows..very frustrated
no link to the wiki is going to help been there and its looks just like code to me. a youtube video or screen shots and real examples would help
Instead of resurrecting a 2 year old thread, please just start your own.