Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: FLAC 5.1 -> Needs "output stereo to all speakers" to work in 5.1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there,

I have recently installed XBMCfreak's frodo beta based on Ubuntu 12.04.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=134252

All is working pretty much perfectly, proper FLAC support from new AudioEngine etc, but my only problem is that FLAC 5.1 audio will only be output as a 5.1 PCM stream if I set "output stereo to all speakers" in the system->audio setup in XBMC.

Otherwise it will just output a 2 channel stereo stream.

Obviously this has the result of causing 2 channel stereo to be output to all speakers for stereo sources this is highly undesirable for watching TV episodes and music unless in party environment and even then I would prefer to use my high end receiver to make that kind of effect it needed.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance Smile
Update to this...

I have an exact duplicate install of this setup on another box (same exact hardware). But on that setup this problem is NOT evident.

The only difference I can see is that in the audio device\passthrough device settings in XBMC on the "problem" setup it shows my DISPLAY device as the device being output to. On the setup that works as it should it shows the RECEIVER as the output device. I'm not using the same receiver in both setups however.

I have tried booting with the display device off and then turning it on to see if the receiver will be the output device, but to no avail...

Does anyone know the solution for this, I'd have thought it would be quite simple. Just to clarify, in both cases the receiver's are both connected directly to the graphics card and display device connected to receiver.

Thanks,