Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: playback speed (audio and video)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is it possible to change playback speed ?
(2012-07-08, 12:44)wistful Wrote: [ -> ]Is it possible to change playback speed ?

could you give more information please
i'd like increase or decrease speed of playing video file or audio podcast on some value.
For example i'd like to listen audio podcast with a rate of 115% of normal; movie on foreign language with a rate of 80-90% of normal.
(2012-07-08, 14:24)wistful Wrote: [ -> ]i'd like increase or decrease speed of playing video file or audio podcast on some value.
For example i'd like to listen audio podcast with a rate of 115% of normal; movie on foreign language with a rate of 80-90% of normal.

ok for movies you can only change the offset ,if the audio is not in line with the video
(audio settings on fullscreen)
(2012-07-08, 14:24)wistful Wrote: [ -> ]i'd like increase or decrease speed of playing video file or audio podcast on some value.
You can click audio settings during playback movie and adjust volume/volume amplification to adjust volume level as shown in my screen shot below......

I've been wondering about this functionality for a while now. It is supported in VLC, which is open-source, so theoretically someone who understood the video handling at that low level might be able to port it in. I looked but got a bit lost in tracing all the functions to the interesting bits.

To be clear we aren't looking to change the volume up or down, so amplification doesn't touch this issue.

The goal (for me at least), would be to allow playback of a file, video or audio, at variable speed, so instead of playing at x1 speed and lasting ~45mins, it could be set to x1.5 speed and only take 30mins (assuming my numbers are accurate). Currently I can fast-forward to have a very poor approximation of this effect, but the volume is paused during that action.

Do any devs have thoughts on how/if this can be accomplished? Perhaps a nudge in the right direction in the code base?
First you need to make sure that certain settings are disabled: sync playback to display, audio pass through
Check out CDVDClock::SetSpeed. There should be little work, if any, for video. You need to resample audio. Have a look into CDVDPlayerAudio::OutputPacket, there is a similar behavior for adjusting small errors (SYNC_RESAMPLE).