Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC Frontend Questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Guys,

I have been trolling this thread for quite sometime trying to learn all I can. I would like to build my first XBMC frontend and would like your input. I have all of my media stored on my desktop/server (4.5 TB). I would like to eventually build an Unraid server, but I'll see how this goes first. I'll be running Ubuntu+XBMC+Dolphin EMU. No plans to play Blu-ray disks and my receiver doesn't support HD audio, so I didn't plan for that. I'm currently using a Revo 3700, but it tends to get bogged down by too many tweaks in Aeon Nox. Revo will go in the kids' play room.

[Case] Silverstone HTPC Case
[MOBO] ASRock MB-A75M Socket FM1 Motherboard
[CPU] AMD A8 Quad-core processor
[SSD] Crucial 64GB SSD Drive
[PSU] Seasonic 400W Power Supply
[Memory] Corsair Vengeance 8GB Memory
[DVD Drive] Sony DVD Drive

Let me know if you guys think I need to make some changes. Also, what do I need to get as far as cables? And do I need a 3.5" - 2.5" drive adapter? I have added components to existing boxes, but this is my first full on build-from-scratch. Any hints you guys have will be much appreciated!
Great looking build, pretty much identical components to mine, you'll be very happy with it!

Mobo comes with a couple SATA cables and PSU has all the power connectors you'll need so you will be good on cables. There is a black plastic drive holder at the front of the case that has screw holes for a 3.5" or 2.5" drive so you don't need any adapter brackets. You're pretty much good to go how you have it! Have fun!
If you are running Linux like me, 8GB RAM is an overkill. Nice, but unnecessary. My HTPC, running Linux Mint (Gnome, therefore "heavy") has only 2GB and runs flawlessly and snappy with Aeon Nox (good choice of skin! Cool ). Normally it uses about 20% memory!!
Also I have a 32GB SSD, rather than 64, but your choice probably depends more on price and availability nowadays.
You could go with the A6-3500 and not see any performance difference (though you'd see less heat) for your stated use. You could also go with the SS-300ET, save a little money, and be more efficient.

Personally, I like this PSU for the ML03: http://www.amazon.com/FSP-Certified-300-...004VF4R4U/ since it is much smaller than an ATX PSU yet comes with a bracket to mount it in the ATX PSU bay. You don't have to work about optical drive depth/interference with the PSU with this FSP.
Thanks for the input guys! I really do appreciate all the help I can get Smile

(2012-07-09, 01:32)Mick1152 Wrote: [ -> ]Great looking build, pretty much identical components to mine, you'll be very happy with it!

Mobo comes with a couple SATA cables and PSU has all the power connectors you'll need so you will be good on cables. There is a black plastic drive holder at the front of the case that has screw holes for a 3.5" or 2.5" drive so you don't need any adapter brackets. You're pretty much good to go how you have it! Have fun!

I think your build was the one that really got me started on selecting components. I see you have both an A6 build and an A8 build. Do you notice any difference between the two?

(2012-07-09, 20:51)jackh Wrote: [ -> ]If you are running Linux like me, 8GB RAM is an overkill. Nice, but unnecessary. My HTPC, running Linux Mint (Gnome, therefore "heavy") has only 2GB and runs flawlessly and snappy with Aeon Nox (good choice of skin! Cool ). Normally it uses about 20% memory!!
Also I have a 32GB SSD, rather than 64, but your choice probably depends more on price and availability nowadays.

I have Linux on all of my machines, I know 8GB is a bit much, but it's like putting bigger headers on a sports car Wink Seriously though I may scale back if you guys don't think it will be necessary. I just don't know how much RAM i'm going to need to get Dolphin to run smoothly. Plus I was a little worried the RAM I have picked out would be too tall.

(2012-07-09, 21:58)Dougie Fresh Wrote: [ -> ]You could go with the A6-3500 and not see any performance difference (though you'd see less heat) for your stated use. You could also go with the SS-300ET, save a little money, and be more efficient.

Personally, I like this PSU for the ML03: http://www.amazon.com/FSP-Certified-300-...004VF4R4U/ since it is much smaller than an ATX PSU yet comes with a bracket to mount it in the ATX PSU bay. You don't have to work about optical drive depth/interference with the PSU with this FSP.

You don't think there will be any significant performance boost between the A6 and A8? 'Cause that would knock a nice chunk off the price.

I don't know anything about PSUs (or FSPs?). How do you figure out how many watts you need, what is enough power vs efficiency? And what about things like heat sinks or fans? Do I need to incorporate those?
(2012-07-10, 04:51)Balthazar Wrote: [ -> ]I think your build was the one that really got me started on selecting components. I see you have both an A6 build and an A8 build. Do you notice any difference between the two?

Both my systems are running 64bit Windows 7 Pro. I don't really notice any major difference in the two but I'm not using them for the same things.

My A8 system has a blu-ray drive, rips blu-rays and transcodes them, plays emulator games, and of course does all the normal xbmc movie stuff too.

My A6 system is literally just a bedroom system, all I do with it is stream movies and tv shows from my server to it. It is honestly overpowered for what I do with it. I am sure I can do most of the stuff I have my A8 system setup for with my A6 system but there is no point to that.

Regarding the power supply question, my A8 has a 380W PSU in it along with two HDD's and an SSD. Running prime95 for 15 minutes and I topped out at 143W. Only thing I wish I had done different would be to have researched power supply space a bit more. With all my components in there the PSU and cables take up a lot of room. The micro ATX PSU that was posted here looks like a great idea, I wish I had one!

Thanks Mick, Any thoughts on heatsinks/fans? I see your rockin' a Shuriken 2. Just to keep temps low and run quietly? Also, do you guys think the heat sink on the memory will be in the way of the CPU fan or Shuriken 2 (if I go that route)?
(2012-07-17, 05:42)Balthazar Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks Mick, Any thoughts on heatsinks/fans? I see your rockin' a Shuriken 2. Just to keep temps low and run quietly? Also, do you guys think the heat sink on the memory will be in the way of the CPU fan or Shuriken 2 (if I go that route)?

Check out my A6-PACK..... rocking the Shuriken 2 witch everyone fallowed.... LOL Tongue

And look at my RAM that is the max you can fit under it.....

Smile
(2012-07-09, 21:58)Dougie Fresh Wrote: [ -> ]You could go with the A6-3500 and not see any performance difference (though you'd see less heat) for your stated use. You could also go with the SS-300ET, save a little money, and be more efficient.

Hey Dougie Fresh (or anyone with a similar experience),

I bought this http://www.amazon.com/FSP-Certified-300-...004VF4R4U/ but I have a question. I installed it with the fan facing up to get all of the cables to reach, but there isn't a vent over the PSU. Is that a problem? Do I need to get some extenders and flip it over?
I'd get a BluRay drive instead of DVD, I know you said no plans but it's good to be a little future proof.
(2012-07-26, 14:27)Balthazar Wrote: [ -> ]Hey Dougie Fresh (or anyone with a similar experience),

I bought this http://www.amazon.com/FSP-Certified-300-...004VF4R4U/ but I have a question. I installed it with the fan facing up to get all of the cables to reach, but there isn't a vent over the PSU. Is that a problem? Do I need to get some extenders and flip it over?

It's better if it faces the vent but if there's decent clearance between the fan and the top then it should be fine. That's the intake.
Build Update with Pics and even more questions...

So I have had this built for a while now, just never got around to posting pics and specs:

[Case] Silverstone HTPC Case
[MOBO] ASRock MB-A75M Socket FM1 Motherboard
[CPU] AMD A8 Quad-core processor
[CPU Cooler] Scythe Big Shuriken 2 RevB CPU cooler
[SSD] Crucial 64GB SSD Drive
[PSU] FSP 300-Watt Micro ATX Power Supply
[Memory] Kingston HyperX 8GB Memory
[DVD Drive] Sony DVD Drive

Everything arrives:

I have done hardware upgrades, but this is the first computer I have ever built. Installed the CPU successfully. I was most nervous about this step and removing the stock cooler brackets and replacing them with the ones fot the Big Shuriken. I didn't want the brackets too loose or too tight, I think I got them just right.

Got the PSU in place and installed the motherboard where it needed to go. I had to install the power supply upside down because otherwise the wires were too short. The case vent is underneath the PSU, the PSU fan points up, but there is no vent on top of the case. The micro-ATX power supply is a smaller form factor, so there is plenty of clearance between the bottom of the PSU and case as well between the top of the PSU and the case, so I think my airflow is OK. No temperature problems so far anyway.

The power cord for the SSD wasn't long enough to reach the mounting bracket, so at first I mounted it underneath the DVD drive. Notice the crappy cable management. This worked, but I am kind of picky so I decided to get a molex extender, I call this take one...

I have a buddy in the IT department at work who hooked me up with a spare molex extender the next day, so I took everything apart and decided to focus on cable management a little more.

All done! It looks nice in my entertainment center. This picture really showcases the beautiful fluorescent canned lighting in my basement Tongue One of these days I am going to get some more natural lighting and some ambient lighting, but it isn't as bad as it looks in this picture.

VGA out didn't work out of the box, so the first thing I did was hook it up via HDMI and update the BIOS. I followed the guide from this thread and had Ubuntu 12.04 installed with Frodo + XVBA + PVR in no time at all. Fritsch was a big help on the #xbmc-xvba channel on IRC to get it tweaked. Everything XBMC related is working great, Aeon Nox used to struggle on my old box, this is butter smooth.

I do have a question for all of you hardware experts. One thing I wanted to do with this box was use Advanced Launcher to run the Wii emulator Dolphin-emu. I can start Dolphin, but the performance is terrible. I can't seem to find anyone who has ran Dolphin with AMD with much success. Do you have any tips to boost performance (although I would think the A8 would have enough power). What about an additional/different video card? Everyone on the Dolphin forums seems to support nvida cards and Windows, but I know it runs fine on my Ubuntu desktop (Pentium i7 and nvidia GeForce GT 430). If a video card is the answer, can you guys recommend one?

Overall I am really happy with my build. It runs great, stays cool and quiet (once I figured out you have to set the fan speed on that Big Shuriken, full speed sounds like a helicopter). It did leave me with an itch to build another one, but I'll have to wait until my checkbook recovers from this one Big Grin