Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Documentaries help needed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am a newbie who needs help with one additional question...

I am an advid watcher of documentaries.... some are movies like "Too Big to Fail" and others are tv shows in national geographic or discovery, history channel, etc.

I would really like to separate these from my movies and tv shows icons and create a new "Documentaries" icon that would include documentaries scraped for for movies and tv shows.

I have read that the only way to do this would be through a special type of playlist, but I am still a newbie and the follow-up instructions were brief and I could not follow them / inplement them.

Could you please help me with a link to a detailed post on how to create smart playlist for documentaries...

Thank you very much in advance for your help and valuable time.

Jhaze
@jhaze: You can try what PatK suggested, but in my opinion simply there is no good solution, I find it very difficult to simpky scrape the documentaries (it would be great to have a scraper for http://docuwiki.net) since the best approach is probably thetvdb, but for dcumentaries not in "seasons" (2 episodes can qualify as a season) there is no way to enter them, and some big groups like "natural world" take a lot of manual work to insert the correct season/episode.

As of now, I think it is fair to say that XBMC does not have support for documentaries, only those that can be treated as tvshows or as movies (but then, you cannot mix the two directly, you need the smart list thingy that I find very difficult to use and needs some manual file editing to be effective and also needs the docus to be properly scraped into the database before you can even use it).

There is the possibility in the works to add new nodes in the database, maybe then a scraper could be made that can give results as either a solo video (i.e. "too big to fail"), as a season/episode (i.e. "through the wormhole 2x03") or as a episode (i.e. "BBC Life 4").

Also, to separate documentaries into genres, those that uses docuwiki could be great: "Arts", "Biography", "Culture", "Health/Medical", "History", "Nature", "Science", "Sociopolitical", "Technology", "Travel" and "War".

Buy as I said, a proper documentary classification is not posible right now, IMO.
Excellent Advice....and it seems like you've done a lot of thinking on the subject.... I will do my best to follow the scene and hopefully it can be implemented sometime in the the future, or at least a work around determined that would mostly meet out needs. Thank again.
While I don't have any feature-length documentaries in my library, I do have plenty of tv-length docs. I tend to just name them in a tvshow convention and scrape with tvdb. Then I have two playlists - one for all tvshows that aren't documentaries (using "does not contain" in the playlist editor), and another for all tvshows that are documentaries (using "contains" in the playlist editor). I then use the "match one or more" for the rules.

After setting up the playlists, I create custom menu entries in the skin pointing to each of these playlists. This way, when I select "tvshows", i don't see the docs, and when I select "documentaries", I only see the docs.
I just found this thread by accident, good suggestions. I am currently working on improving my library etc. so I will give this a closer read soon.
for my two cents worth see this thread
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=109101
(2012-07-09, 21:41)thrak76 Wrote: [ -> ]While I don't have any feature-length documentaries in my library, I do have plenty of tv-length docs. I tend to just name them in a tvshow convention and scrape with tvdb. Then I have two playlists - one for all tvshows that aren't documentaries (using "does not contain" in the playlist editor), and another for all tvshows that are documentaries (using "contains" in the playlist editor). I then use the "match one or more" for the rules.

After setting up the playlists, I create custom menu entries in the skin pointing to each of these playlists. This way, when I select "tvshows", i don't see the docs, and when I select "documentaries", I only see the docs.

Whats the playlist rule based on? As in "doesn't contain" documentaries in the file structure or genre?