Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Weird Apple tv2 problem!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Hi guys,

I am happy to join the xbmc family, iam a newbie so please bare with me!

I bought a jail broken Apple tv 2 with xbmc installed and everything was working and I was able to ssh into my Atv2 with no problem.
2 weeks ago my buddy installed nito TV through cydia on my Atv2 and xbmc is still working perfectly but I can not ssh or FTP into my Atv2.

What can be the reason and is there a way to solve this problem without re jail breaking the device?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Jason
(2012-07-11, 01:28)Mehdiking Wrote: [ -> ]Hi guys,

I bought a jail broken Apple tv 2 with xbmc installed and everything was working and I was able to ssh into my Atv2 with no problem.
2 weeks ago my buddy installed nito TV through cydia on my Atv2 and xbmc is still working perfectly but I can not ssh or FTP into my Atv2.

What can be the reason and is there a way to solve this problem without re jail breaking the device?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Jason

What's the error you're getting when trying to SSH? Was the root password still the default password (alpine)?

Could be the IKEE worm, I had the same issue recently. Can't do anything about it other than jailbreaking the device again as far as I know.

(2012-07-11, 05:42)bbk79 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-07-11, 01:28)Mehdiking Wrote: [ -> ]Hi guys,

Thanks a lot in advance!

Jason

What's the error you're getting when trying to SSH? Was the root password still the default password (alpine)?

Could be the IKEE worm, I had the same issue recently. Can't do anything about it other than jailbreaking the device again as far as I know.
I use Core ftp and it just says "Connection error"
"ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host" is the error OpenSSH throws. If you telnet to port 22, it connects and then the connection is closed immediately...
any solution?
I said already, as far as I know you can only jailbreak again... I was lucky to have daily backups of my XBMC settings.
Don't forget to change the root password this time...
If you install afc2 from nito you can connect the atv via USB and backup your xbmc folder.

Then re-jailbreak, change the password in terminal immediately and go about the rest of the install.

There is some weird ssh issue that no one seems to have figured out.
Mine broke after nitotv did an update to OpenSSL
Thanks guys!
I will try it out!
Non Jailbreak ssh solution

I was on the FireCore forum and through a discussion with user badabing, I found a solution that does not require a re-jailbreak to fix this ssh/ftp issue. I was able to do it successfully and have full access again and all my troubles are over (for now).

See the discussion here:

http://forum.firecore.com/topic/8161

Some of the Key elements:

Download openssh_5.8p1-9_iphoneos-arm.deb onto your PC/Mac

Use the NitoTV UI on ATV2 to
- install afc2add
- install vsftpd

Reboot the ATV
connect via USB cable to your PC / MAC
and connect using iFunbox (you must have the power plug in the ATV and THEN connect to your PC/Mac with USB)

Under Connected Devices (in iFunBox) you should see your ATV2
Go to Raw File System (this is the / of your ATV)
Navigate to
/private/var/root/Media/Cydia/AutoInstall
Use CopyFromPC option to upload openssh_5.8p1-9_iphoneos-arm.deb into that directory
What this does is upon next reboot, cydia will attempt to install any deb file that is in AutoInstall directory.
However because you have a newer version, which can't be uninstalled, cydia will not downgrade, hence navigate to
/private/var/stash/libexec/cydia/startup
and use CopyToPC option to copy startup file to your pc/mac
edit the file on your pc/mac
modify the line that has dpkg to this
dpkg --force-downgrade -i "${debs[@]}" 2>/tmp/dpkg.log 1>&2
basically we are adding an option to force downgrading (--force-downgrade)
and then upload it back to ATV using CopyFromPC option.

reboot ATV
check using NitoTV to make sure you have the downgraded version running on ATV.
test to see if you can connect.
if not,
upgrade openssh
reboot
you should be able to connect again.
Thanks fritz!
I will try it tonight!

Fritzboyle,

What is the exact line that I have to modify?
(before and after)

Thanks
(2012-07-11, 23:13)Mehdiking Wrote: [ -> ]Fritzboyle,

What is the exact line that I have to modify?
(before and after)

Thanks

well, unfortunately, I don't have the original line of code, but when you open the startup file, there is only one line that has

dpkg in it

completely replace that line with this one:
dpkg --force-downgrade -i "${debs[@]}" 2>/tmp/dpkg.log 1>&2

then re-save the startup file and upload it back to the folder you got it from (per the instructions)

I am using win 7 and installed i funbox on it but it doesn't recognize my apple TV.

Any ideas?
I have a mac, so there may be some differences, but we can try some troubleshooting.

ensure you have installed all the programs listed onto your ATV:
- install afc2add
- install vsftpd

I assume you have done that via Nito TV?

reset atv2 after installing.
Keep ATV2 power cord connected (you need to unplug the HDMI for this process)

start ifunbox on your win7 machine
plug USB from ATV to win7 machine.

does the ATV2 show up?
Pages: 1 2