Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [SOLVED] Sound popping from amp when changing from stereo to DTS / 5.1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all

Not sure if this is XBMC Eden or OSX Lion issue but here goes

If I am playing music and then play a movie I get a loud poppong from speakers/amp.
This happens when playing a 5.1 / DTS movie
If I play in stereo the popping is not there, it seems to be when XBMC changes output to 5.2 / DTS

MAC Mini 2011
OSX Lion
XBMC Eden
Audio via optical to amp

Can anyone help as its quite annoying

TIA

JimBobUKII
yes having the same problem. popping noise on content very horrible. any fixes? this is just off of my mbp..
My popping is only when changing from stereo source to DTS on MAC only.. after initial pop sound is OK
I have tried windows XBMC and Linux it does not happen

This leads me to believe its either XBMC or OS X Lion

cheers
its most likly lion or the constellation with the used equipment (amp).
(2012-07-14, 10:24)Memphiz Wrote: [ -> ]its most likly lion or the constellation with the used equipment (amp).

Is there any way I can diagnose if it is Lion?
Yeah try with snow leopoard ...
(2012-07-19, 23:49)Memphiz Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah try with snow leopoard ...

I huess this is not an option for me as I have MAC 2011 which uses online restore, Unless someone would lend me Snow Leopard to try and remove straight after
Well I have done a clean install of OS X Mountain Lion GM with the same problem.
I did clean install not an upgrade. I made sure I wiped the HDD before installing

Can anyone help?
I have the same or a very similar issue.
I'm running a clean install of Mountain Lion on 27" iMac.
Optical audio out to a Sony AV Receiver.
Running 11.0 Eden XBMC
Haven't got Perian/soundflower/any of that stuff installed since I wiped the HDD and clean installed Mountain Lion.
Incidentally I had the issue before I reinstalled the OS.

What is happening with me: -
I can play DTS/AAC 5.1 video through XBMC with the surround sound working fine.
When I start to play the video, the receiver 'pops' and then the audio comes through great.
When the video finishes, the receiver 'pops' again but then no audio is heard (like menu sounds etc.)
If I attempt to play another video, a message pops up in XBMC saying that it failed to initialise the audio device and the video plays but without sound.

Exiting XBMC resolves the problem (normal sounds can be heard again) and when I start XBMC again it allows me to watch another video with audio (i.e. I don't have to restart the mac to fix the problem).
Any ideas?
Should be solved in pre-frodo (e.x. in current nightlies)
Just tried the nightly build xbmc-20120906-2c84a9d-master-x86_64.dmg and the issue is resolved. Thanks!
(2012-09-09, 18:54)SiO2y Wrote: [ -> ]Just tried the nightly build xbmc-20120906-2c84a9d-master-x86_64.dmg and the issue is resolved. Thanks!

Could you help me with two things?

1. how do i get the nightly version?
2. Do you have any issues with XBMC crashing when using PLASMA visulisation ? If i go to full screen when playing music it crashes, it even does it when playing music and navigating to another menu item i.e. Programs

Laters
Hi Jim,

Nightly builds can be found here:
http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/

Sorry I've never used visualisations or had trouble with XBMC crashing, in fact I've never used it for playing music so I don't think I'd be much help.
I think you're best off either looking in the forums for a thread that describes your issue more closely or asking the question in a new thread.

SiO2y