Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: 64bit XBMC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
(2017-03-30, 04:37)Livin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-03-26, 01:16)trogggy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-03-26, 00:44)Livin Wrote: [ -> ]Agreed, seems completely unnecessary to have a 32bit windows Kodi version. I suspect Steams stats are actually conservative when considering home users that have PCs made within the last 5 years... they are all pre-installed with only 64 bit Win.
The windows 10 tablet I bought last year is 32 bit only - as is any other pc with a 32-bit uefi.
Fairly sure that is only on tablets and super low-end stuff. Solution = don't buy those ;-)
Great solution.
(2017-03-26, 01:16)trogggy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-03-26, 00:44)Livin Wrote: [ -> ]Agreed, seems completely unnecessary to have a 32bit windows Kodi version. I suspect Steams stats are actually conservative when considering home users that have PCs made within the last 5 years... they are all pre-installed with only 64 bit Win.
The windows 10 tablet I bought last year is 32 bit only - as is any other pc with a 32-bit uefi.
Well known brands such as Acer, Asus, Fijitsu, HP, Lenovo, Toshiba, and Samsung still sell 32-bit only Windows tablets/laptops.

I bought a couple of brand new 32-bit only Windows 10 2-in-1 Laptops (Convertible Laptop and Tablet) for the kids this year!

I know that 32-bit is not considern modern today, but Windows 10 is still fully supported on newish 32-bit only processors.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/42852/micr...index.html

I would not recommend for Kodi to abandon 32-bit Windows builds until Microsoft stop support / security patching them.

These tablets/laptops are still good enough to serve for school computers, caual games, and media playback purposes .
From a hardware point of view I believe everything from the last couple of years should be 64 bit compatible, the issue is that some of the low end tablets only shipped with a 32 bit bios and 32 bit version of Windows even though the hardware is perfectly capable of running a 64 bit version of Window, as far as I know there is not a single Intel processor currently being sold that is 32 bit only.
(2017-03-30, 18:44)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]From a hardware point of view I believe everything from the last couple of years should be 64 bit compatible, the issue is that some of the low end tablets only shipped with a 32 bit bios and 32 bit version of Windows even though the hardware is perfectly capable of running a 64 bit version of Window, as far as I know there is not a single Intel processor currently being sold that is 32 bit only.
To use my tablet as an example...
The hardware is 64-bit capable. The tablet isn't. Or rather it isn't capable of running 64-bit windows.
It has a 32-bit UEFI, which means that it will only ever run 32-bit windows. Unless someone somewhere comes up with a 64-bit UEFI, which isn't going to happen.
I'm now trying to decide if I should test this out as my 'Daily Driver' or not. I'm going to be sticking with PC HTPCs and the 3770K in my livingroom machine is no slouch even without hardware acceleration. It gets 'hand-me-downs' from my workstations, so it's next 'GPU' will be a Radeon R9 390X, which has no HEVC decoding onboard, so I'll be relying on CPU for HEVC sometime. 1080p HEVC is no issue even on 32bit, but obviously this'll eventually become much more important to me. So I feel like I should be involved in testing and providing feedback. I just dunno if it's 'reliable' enough to test out as a daily driver or not even.
Install the 64 bit version into a different folder from the 32 bit install, then run the 64 bit version in portable mode, that way you can easily switch between the two.
(2017-03-30, 18:56)trogggy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-03-30, 18:44)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]From a hardware point of view I believe everything from the last couple of years should be 64 bit compatible, the issue is that some of the low end tablets only shipped with a 32 bit bios and 32 bit version of Windows even though the hardware is perfectly capable of running a 64 bit version of Window, as far as I know there is not a single Intel processor currently being sold that is 32 bit only.
To use my tablet as an example...
The hardware is 64-bit capable. The tablet isn't. Or rather it isn't capable of running 64-bit windows.
It has a 32-bit UEFI, which means that it will only ever run 32-bit windows. Unless someone somewhere comes up with a 64-bit UEFI, which isn't going to happen.

I had the original compute stick which made a nice Kodi device, the Atom CPU was 64 bit capable but 32but UEFI firmware preventing 64 bit Windows installation.

Last year I upgraded it to the new Cherry trail model for hardware HEVC support, which also came with 32 bit Win10 preinstalled, but on these models you can change a BIOS option to select a 64 bit mode, and (I'm assuming it performes some UEFI firmware switch internally), which allowed 64 bit Win10 to be installed, which it runs today.

Dissapointing that it didn't come with x64 out of the box. Intel CPU support is clearly x64 with only exceptions for the Atom (unless your'e still running Windows 7)
http://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en...06105.html

Overall I think these are a very small usage case, and as with Android lollipop dependencies - the price of progress!
(2017-04-03, 13:58)jools5000 Wrote: [ -> ]Overall I think these are a very small usage case, and as with Android lollipop dependencies - the price of progress!
If you've read what I've written as a desperate plea for 32 bit windows support it isn't - I was correcting a mistaken assumption in the thread (ie that 32-bit only gear is no longer sold / that all current tech is 64-bit capable). Android lollipop is still supported btw, at least for now. And like most in the 1st world, team kodi deciding to support / not support a device or os will have little or no impact on me - when you can pick up a device that runs kodi for a fiver. How times have changed.
Wouldn't be an issue if those that supplied systems with 32-bit UEFI did the decent thing and supplied 64-bit UEFI to their customers.
(2017-04-03, 16:46)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]Wouldn't be an issue if those that supplied systems with 32-bit UEFI did the decent thing and supplied 64-bit UEFI to their customers.
True, but with the cheaper tablets a lot of them are pretty much just re-sellers. I have a linx 8, and some of the tech-support from linx (as reported on the linxtablet forum) is just embarrassing.
For the price though I'm not complaining.
(2017-03-31, 01:37)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]Install the 64 bit version into a different folder from the 32 bit install, then run the 64 bit version in portable mode, that way you can easily switch between the two.

Eh, I actually have a good number of changes made to AdvancedSettings.xml to make it all work 'nicely' for my purposes. From the MySQL DB, to YouTube addon API keys, to a bunch of stuff to make the MediaGate IR remotes work neatly, plus what I've done in Windows to ensure Kodi autostarts. Obviously migrating all of that to a portable install of 64bit Kodi is possible, but with all the effort and leaving it to access the MySQL DB, I might as well just install it on top of my 32bit 17.1 install.

I feel if I did a portable install, it'd be separated enough that'd it'd not be a suitable daily driver and then I wouldn't be running it through the paces that a 64bit install needs. That said, if the devs feel that this 64bit is 'Stable Enough' I'll run it as a daily driver on my main machine and post as many logs as I can. My television addiction would hopefully turn up any bugs in video playback for devs to squash. Smile
Hi just got a little "bug"

I uninstall kodi (to restart from scratch after some bad tweaking I did) and like I always did, I check the option to delete the kodi folder in \appdata\roaming

Then I check and see that the kodi folder is still there and with all the content inside

As you can see on the screenshot: kodi uninstalled but kodi folder still there

Do not know if it is just with this test build or if kodi 18 32 bits nightlies have the same issue
So, fed up with Kodi 17.1 crashing a lot rand randomly on anime I decided to just install the 64bit alpha to see if it did any better. It seems to work better on troublesome files. So I guess I'm now daily driving 64bit anyway.

Downside is, with the Samsung 4K 60hz HEVC demo, the 3770K at 4.2ghz in my HTPC still can't QUITE get the job done without dropping a few frames, but it also doesn't seem to use more than 80% of the CPU, more like 60-80% but still occasionally dropping frames. I guess the CPU can't fully be taken advantage of.
Could it be possible to have a new 64 bits test build with the latest leia changes?

Just to be a little bit more up to date...
(2017-04-17, 02:54)Gracus Wrote: [ -> ]Could it be possible to have a new 64 bits test build with the latest leia changes?

Had started a test build yesterday, before you requested.
http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/win64..._win64.exe
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15