Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Access media from server and NOT on local network!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello there guys! Smile

I am fairly new to the Xbmc game, and I have been wondering like a mad hatter, if you are able to acess files from within XBMC from a server, that is NOT located at your home.

The amounts of topics concerning NAS is to damn high! And I dont need any information about it. I have not been able to find any post or information about real server access.

The thing is, I want to access a server that is located in my mothers house from my own apartment inside xbmc. I have Xbmc on Apple TV 2. gen, computer, and Raspberry Pi.

Please help a fellow xbmc'sian! Smile
You'll need a very good upstream internet connection for it to play without buffering like mad.

Use something like HTTP, FTP, or WebDAV sharing on the host computer and forward the ports used on your router so that it can be accessed outside the network. SMB won't work, as most ISPs filter out SMB over internet as an anti virus tactic.

How to exactly do this depends on what OS your host computer runs.
Right now the server is running Ubuntu server, and it can change at will to match whatever is the most efficient for this task.

I have a very high internet connection at my mothers house. Fiberwire, so speed shouldnt be a problem.