Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC for Android input problems.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Until Android gets its own forum I guess this is the best place to help with this platform.

I know it's early software and I am just doing this so it gets noticed and can be fixed.
When I connect my Bluetooth keyboard the arrow keys (movement) are the only thing that work in XBMC, I can't open anything, type text or hit the keys to act a the menu or back buttons.
For the mouse nothing works, I can just see the pointer

Seems strange since I thought they would be interpreted like any normal touch input by Android apps, especially the mouse.

I have XBMC working fine on my Samsung Galaxy S II when using the tough screen. But I would like to be able to control it when it's across the room connected to a tv with a MHL adapter.
I guess mouse and keyboard stuff is just not yet implemented / hooked up for android.
If you really want to tinker around with the early build thats out there what I found you can do is
1) Get External Keyboard Helper Pro on Google Play
2) Set it as the keyboard input in Android settings
3) Go into advanced settings for EKHP and create a custom keymap 1
4) Select add a new keymap
5) Press a unused key and it should appear as a number if it doesn't pick another key (the enter key under Android doesn't seem to register as a key for me least)
6) Tick the box for key action then from the drop down list select d-pad center

That will get you a working select button in XBMC, I wasn't able to find a working back button. This allowed me to get into the network settings & activate the remote control feature, the official iOS remote was able to control the Android XBMC, the back button did work with the iOS remote.
yeah i have the same issue.

gotta say im looking forward to a stable release of this.....

great work guys
just letting you know that the physical keybord on my shift4g does the same thing so yeah... keyboard not really there yet.

going to need an alternate skin thats designed for much smaller screens thats for sure. i have a really tiny screen and not so really tiny fingers (which is one of the reasons i went with the shift, physical keyboard). the current skin is really tough to get moving around in.
You tried the touched skin already? Should be installed by default.
(2012-07-16, 22:09)Memphiz Wrote: [ -> ]You tried the touched skin already? Should be installed by default.

no, had to uninstall for a couple reasons....
1. its not really ready for prime time. it works and works well, but the shift uses an arm7 snapdragon processor that from everything i read i am 100% pure lucky that i got it to install and run in the first place because it supposedly does not support neon. (basing that only on the small amount of reading ive done and could be 100% wrong, please let me know if i am wrong on that.)
2. no way to move it to the SD card & since im running a stock sprint device, its preloaded with gobs of junk that you cant remove and also cant be moved to the SD card so there is a space issue involved.

I can say this however, the stock skin did work perfectly, the touch (when i could hit the target) and menu navigations were perfect and I was able to launch an avi. the only break down was keyboard support (which im sure will be there down the road) and going to the menu while playing something brought everything to a grinding halt and i had to be very patient while trying to get out of that.

one other thing: i know that this is not an app that is designed for low end hardware like mine and i know the default skin is not designed for such a small screen... people who dont have kielbasa fingers should be okay... pretty much 100% of the problems i ran into were not design/functionality issues and were hardware/ginormous fatfinger issues.

even though from what i read it shouldnt be running on this phone, a pat on the backs to all because it does Big Grin
I've got a tablet (Ainol Aurora II) and xbmc works ok but once I connect it to my TV using hdmi I can't select anything. I tried with a usb mouse and doesn't work (well the right click works as "back" but the rest doesn't work). A keyboard works but don't want to carry one when I travel. And don't have a smartphone to use it as a remote... anyone has any idea on how to use xbmc when connected to TV?

Thanks a lot
You should better stop posting such kind of bug reports. TV - Out is point number 1023 on the todo list. And you are reporting such unimportant (as of now where even the hw decoder isn't in) stuff in a phase where we even didn't release an official testapk. (this is pre-alpha code - think of it as if its not even there).

And thats where demotivation could start - when users are wanting us to do the 1000st step for the first. So stay low. As already mentioned multiple times - we are not ready for support/bugreports yet. (beside maybe bugs in the buildsystem).
(2012-07-17, 00:06)harbingerofdoom Wrote: [ -> ]2. no way to move it to the SD card & since im running a stock sprint device, its preloaded with gobs of junk that you cant remove and also cant be moved to the SD card so there is a space issue involved.

And it probably might never be. I once tried that during development and even on my SGS2 where the XBMC GUI is very smooth etc it was totally unusable. SD card reads are just way too slow. It took like almost a second to load an image and as you can imagine every GUI view consists of a lot of images. So don't count on it ever being possible.
Well thanks to the devs my keyboard has started working with only a couple minor problems. I will also avoid any minor bug reports from now on.
I have managed to use a Bluetooth keyboard to control XBMC on my Acer Iconia A510 tablet. My tablet has an adapter from microusb to female normal usb and I just plugged this adapter in and put the receiver for my Bluetooth keyboard into it and without any moddefications or anything I can use that keyboard with XBMC.
But I still need a stable version of XBMC but a Sandberg USB mini keyboard and Acer A510 tablet will work with XBMC Smile
I
f people need proof I have made a small 2 min. video and put up on Youtube in case you want to see it in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxI-Efjfx...e=youtu.be
nm...
I have XBMC installed on my Samsung Galaxy SIII, but I cannot get the phone's keyboard to pop up to install Fusion in the Systems/File Manager Section.

In fact the keyboard does not pop up in any section...

I have the Lenovo Enhanced Multimedia Remote with backlit keyboard N5902 connected to my Android TV Box using the included wireless dongle and it works out of the box.

All keys work, as do the multimedia keys across the top.

This is one of the best gadgets I have ever bought. The front of the remote also acts as like a track pad so you can scroll just by sliding your thumb up and down the ridge just below the thumb toggle. You can also scroll across spaces in Android by swiping your thumb horizontally.

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/contr...de=57Y6678

Pages: 1 2