Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Screensaver not working with External Player
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am using XBMC Eden to use MPC-HC as an external player for video files. I am also using a plasma screen, and would prefer to avoid burn-in. Unfortunately, the screensaver seems not to be working when calling an external video player.

My system running Windows 7, and is using the Aeon MQ3 skin.

Here is how the screensaver is working when video is paused:

(Good): When the XBMC internal player is paused, the XBMC screensaver kicks in at the time set internally.

(Good): When using MPC-HC on its own (and pausing it), the system screensaver kicks in at the time set in Windows.

(Bad): When XBMC uses MPC-HC, and MPC-HC is paused, neither the XBMC screensaver nor the Windows screensaver kicks in at all.

(Bad): When XBMC is running, but minimized, neither the XBMC screensaver nor the Windows screensaver kicks in at all.

The playercorefactory.xml file I am using to call the external player:

Code:
<playercorefactory>
    <players>
        <player name="ISO_Player" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
            <filename>%AppData%\XBMC\userdata\PlayISO.bat</filename>
            <args>"{1}"</args>
            <hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
                        <hideconsole>true</hideconsole>
                        <warpcursor>none</warpcursor>
        </player>
                <player name="BDMV_Player" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
            <filename>%AppData%\XBMC\userdata\PlayBDMV.bat</filename>
            <args>"{1}"</args>
            <hidexbmc>true</hidexbmc>
        </player>
        <player name="Disc_Player" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
            <filename>%AppData%\XBMC\userdata\PlayDisc.exe</filename>
            <args>"{1}"</args>
                </player>
        <player name="Universal_Player" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
            <filename>C:\Program Files\Media Player Classic - Home Cinema\mpc-hc64.exe</filename>
            <args>"{1}"</args>
        </player>
        </players>
        <rules action="prepend">
        <!-- Bluray ISO -->
        <rule filenames="iso" filetypes="iso" player="ISO_Player"/>
        <!-- Bluray BDMV -->
        <rule filenames="bdmv" filetypes="bdmv" player="BDMV_Player"/>
        <!-- Bluray M2TS -->
        <rule filenames="m2ts" filetypes="m2ts" player="Universal_Player"/>
        <!-- Bluray MKV -->
        <rule filenames="mkv" filetypes="mkv" player="Universal_Player"/>
        <!-- Bluray AVI -->
        <rule filenames="avi" filetypes="avi" player="Universal_Player"/>
        <!-- Bluray TS -->
        <rule filenames="ts" filetypes="ts" player="Universal_Player"/>

<!-- Bluray Disc -->
        <rule filenames="BD" name="E:\\.*" filetypes="bdmv" player="Disc_Player"/>

</rules>
</playercorefactory>

It seems like the XBMC screensaver is being deactivated when XBMC is being hidden, but that the system screensaver or system power options are not being re-enabled. Is this normal behavior, or is there a fix?
XBMC disables the screensaver when it starts, so as long as XBMC is running the Windows screensaver won't start. This applies whether XBMC is minimised or not. I can't think of a way to get around this that doesn't involve compiling your own build of XBMC.
Damn.

First, thank you for replying, I do appreciate the help.

Second, that makes sense, but then why would the XBMC power saving and screensaver no longer work when XBMC is minimized?

It seems reasonable that XBMC would disable the system screensaver (whether or not it is minimized), but wouldn't it then use it's own screen saver (whether or not it is minimized)?

Is there a way to use external software to enable one of the two screensavers/power saving modes, such as Eventghost (never really played around with it)?
(2012-07-16, 13:50)manders260 Wrote: [ -> ]Second, that makes sense, but then why would the XBMC power saving and screensaver no longer work when XBMC is minimized?
I think this is a bug or bad design. XBMC should not disable the host OS power saving scheme when it is minimized. This may have been done to allow the OS not to enter standby when using external players. I'm not sure.
(2012-07-16, 13:50)manders260 Wrote: [ -> ]Is there a way to use external software to enable one of the two screensavers/power saving modes, such as Eventghost (never really played around with it)?
Probably not. When the OS wants to enter standby it polls the running apps. They in turn then respond back. At least that is how I've understood it should work.