Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Crash when playing video, Remote Communication Server Fails to Start upon relaunch
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
CrashReporter
CrashReporter (another one)
Log

I have multiple instances of xbmc running in my home, but have been having a very weird issue with a new one I'm attempting to install onto a 2011 Mac Mini running Lion. Everything seems to be working fine on launch and as I navigate my library. I can even begin to play video. But always, and I can't quite pinpoint the exact timing of it, xbmc just simply crashes during video playback and Mac OSX alerts me of this fact and gives me the option to relaunch it. When I do I get an error message that says "Remote Communication Server failed to start".

Does anybody have any idea what is doing this? I have an inkling its Trakt Utilities but don't really know how to read those Crashreports or logs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I also have a weird issue where I pause the video and the video will pause but the audio will play on a 1 sec loop at the point of pause. I did some quick googling and I'm thinking this is unrelated but thought I should add it anyways. Thanks again!
anyone?
Please post your nfs setup (/etc/exports and how your media and thumbs organised).

1. Turn off thumbnail extraction in settings
2. Ensure that thumbs and media is accessed with the same nfs export - there is a bug in eden with thumb path substitution on nfs shares which is fixed in frodo/alpha.
3. Post a debug log next time - so i would have figured 2. by my own Wink
(2012-07-19, 09:39)Memphiz Wrote: [ -> ]Please post your nfs setup (/etc/exports and how your media and thumbs organised).

1. Turn off thumbnail extraction in settings
2. Ensure that thumbs and media is accessed with the same nfs export - there is a bug in eden with thumb path substitution on nfs shares which is fixed in frodo/alpha.
3. Post a debug log next time - so i would have figured 2. by my own Wink

I'm sorry this took me so long, I had to find time to run the xbmc with debugging on until it crashed. However it only took one episode of Mad Men so here I am...

Code:
/volume1/Print  *(rw,async,no_wdelay,insecure,root_squash,all_squash,anonuid=501
/volume1/Video  *(rw,async,no_wdelay,insecure,root_squash,all_squash,anonuid=501
/volume1/Web    *(rw,async,no_wdelay,insecure,root_squash,all_squash,anonuid=501
/volume1/Audio  *(rw,async,no_wdelay,insecure,root_squash,all_squash,anonuid=501

I'm not fully sure what your asking when you say "how your media and thumbnails are organized. I have all the movies and tv shows in the Video folder and the thumbnails are in a folder labeled thumbnails in the Web folder.

and the rest...:

1. Done, but why?
2. Not entirely sure what you mean. Does the fact that my Thumbnails folder residing on the /volume1/Web and not the /volume1/Video present a problem? Its not causing any noticeable issues on any of my other installations.
3. Here is a full Debug Log if it happens to help at all.

Thanks for getting back to me (again no less)!!
1. to see if this already fixes your crash
2. yes that is a problem on eden which is fixed in frodo then - if 1. doesn't help - move your thumbs to the video export and you should be fine.
(2012-07-21, 13:43)Memphiz Wrote: [ -> ]1. to see if this already fixes your crash
2. yes that is a problem on eden which is fixed in frodo then - if 1. doesn't help - move your thumbs to the video export and you should be fine.

Great I'll see if that helps, thanks again for your help!
(2012-07-21, 13:43)Memphiz Wrote: [ -> ]1. to see if this already fixes your crash

So, I made all of the described changes (1. Turned off "generate thumbnails" and then 2. moved my Thumbnails folder to the Video share of my nas). After a hiccup of no thumbnails showing up that I fixed my Chown'in the new thumbnails folder to 501 (I root_squashed my shares to fix the same problem on my ATV2 last time you were kind enough to help me). I cannot say for sure that its fixed the problem on my Mac Mini, but I will do a full test tonight (It takes me a while to actually test since it only crashes like 3/4 of the way through playing a file), but I'm experiencing a separate thumbnail problem now, this one with Music:

I loaded my Music collection (which is meticulously tagged w/ embedded album art) and not a single album art was loaded for any of my 37k+ songs (which ALL have an embedded pic). Here's the log:

http://pastebin.com/a6vPbHb0

It seems that its having similar permissions issue as it was having before but I can't be sure. The only other thing I'm wondering is if maybe it maybe related to the size of the embedded album art. I read here that the upper limit of size is 256x256 which is larger than most of the embedded images, but I would assume that xbmc would just scale that down (but perhaps that is a misplaced assumption).

Thanks again if you can offer me any additional help (you've been so amazingly helpful so far, that I already owe you more drinks than would be safe to consumeSmile). I will report back to see if the crashing issue has been fixed as well later tonight.

haha - yeah better don't fill me up Wink

no permission errors this time

Code:
17:41:05 T:6884   ERROR: CPicture::CacheImage Unable to create new image special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/Music/1/14281ad6.tbn from image nfs://192.168.1.85/volume1/Audio/Music/Alicia Keys/(2003) Alicia Keys - The Diary of Alicia Keys/folder.jpg

NOENT error means there is no such file. Could you verify that the above path exists? And that user 501 has access to all folders in there? (meaning the x permission)?
(2012-08-01, 23:31)Memphiz Wrote: [ -> ]haha - yeah better don't fill me up Wink

no permission errors this time

Code:
17:41:05 T:6884   ERROR: CPicture::CacheImage Unable to create new image special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/Music/1/14281ad6.tbn from image nfs://192.168.1.85/volume1/Audio/Music/Alicia Keys/(2003) Alicia Keys - The Diary of Alicia Keys/folder.jpg

NOENT error means there is no such file. Could you verify that the above path exists? And that user 501 has access to all folders in there? (meaning the x permission)?

I will in a sec, (I had to shut down my NAS while some furniture is being worked on), but I'm near positive that 501 is the owner of /volume1/Video/Thumbnails because thats what I had to change to get my Video thumbnails to show up. I can't check that that particular file exists but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't. All of my images are embedded into the actual MP3 using Jaikoz. I see the cd cover in any OS's file explorer but nothing shows up in XBMC.

Edit 6:45cdt: I checked and surprising that file does exist (I don't have a folder.jpg in every album folder, but every song is embedded with the album cover art). I went to open XBMC to just check to see that there were still no thumbnails and it started "Loading media info from files". It looks like its going through my entire library, which will take a loooong time. I'll report back when its done but still no thumbnails.

Also this is the ownership of the Alicia Keys albums
Code:
drwxrwsrwx    3 admin    users         4096 Jun  9 21:04 (2001) Alicia Keys - Songs in A minor
drwxrwsrwx    3 admin    users         4096 Jun  9 21:05 (2003) Alicia Keys - The Diary of Alicia Keys
drwxrwsrwx    3 admin    users         4096 Aug  1 23:34 (2007) Alicia Keys - As I Am
drwxrwsrwx    3 admin    users         4096 Jun  9 21:05 (2009) Alicia Keys - The Element of Freedom
drwxrwxrwx    2 root     users         4096 Jun 11 04:59 @eaDir
I realize this is some pretty basic stuff, so I apologize for this question: but is 501 included in the "users"? I made 501 the owner of the thumbnails folder because only xbmc would be accessing that folder and I didn't care but multiple programs will be accessing the Music folder and I feel like giving 501 ownership rights might screw something up.

In any event I'll post back when this thing is done "Loading media info from files"...
What makes you so sure that XBMC supports embedded Art? (not sure but i have never read anything about it)
(2012-08-02, 09:47)Memphiz Wrote: [ -> ]What makes you so sure that XBMC supports embedded Art? (not sure but i have never read anything about it)

?

Embeded art in audio files should be supported, as opposed to embedded covers in M4V.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Add..._Album_Art

My XBMC kept freezing before it was done "Loading media info from files". I closed/reopened XBMC several times, and restarted my computer (not the NAS though) and always it would eventually freeze. The last time it was running while i was sleeping (for around 6 hours) and when I woke up it was stuck on an Aerosmith song (so it didn't get very far). The first time it froze was on a Phoenix song so its getting worse and worse as well. Usually the scanning of the video files finishes before it crashes, but not this morning: the progress bar for "Downloading new movies" was frozen about 10% in. I closed it and reopened it again before I left for work but I'm not optimistic its going to finish. I guess I'll have to delete the music.db files and start from scratch, cause I'm out of ideas...
(2012-08-02, 11:58)pecinko Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-08-02, 09:47)Memphiz Wrote: [ -> ]What makes you so sure that XBMC supports embedded Art? (not sure but i have never read anything about it)

?

Embeded art in audio files should be supported, as opposed to embedded covers in M4V.

Yeah, all my music is in mp3 format with ID3 tags, unless there's some issue with different versions of ID3 tags...

Though I can't be totally confident in anything that's happening until the my XBMC library can finish this "Loading media info from files"...
(2012-08-02, 16:19)seth.feinberg Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, all my music is in mp3 format with ID3 tags, unless there's some issue with different versions of ID3 tags...

Though I can't be totally confident in anything that's happening until the my XBMC library can finish this "Loading media info from files"...

Easy to test - install XBMC Eden final on PC. Scan music files to library. All good? Test network, nfs, mysql on the same setup. All good?
(2012-08-02, 17:26)pecinko Wrote: [ -> ]Easy to test - install XBMC Eden final on PC. Scan music files to library. All good? Test network, nfs, mysql on the same setup. All good?

XBMC Eden IS on my PC, I guess if XBMC has again frozen i'll blow out the Music.db files in the userdata folder and the MySQL music db and try to scan a dummie folder directly on my pc before I start the process over again. I'll report back...
(2012-08-02, 18:17)seth.feinberg Wrote: [ -> ]... i'll blow out the Music.db files in the userdata folder and the MySQL music db and try to scan a dummie folder directly on my pc before I start the process over again. I'll report back...

Yup, that was exactly what I had in mind but probably failed explaining myself properly Smile
Pages: 1 2