Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC Live 11.10 cant find local HDD's
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I was running Windows7 with xbmc (eden) and I never really had any playback problems, but I decided to give Live a try. I really like how quickly it boots up.
I am able to add shared drives on my LAN no problem, and it plays smoothly, no hiccups. My problem lies where I have 3 full 2tb HDD's in the actual HTPC that I dont see, and cant seem to gain access to. These drives are formatted in NTFS and worked just fine when I was running XBMC on Windows7.
I have done research, and cant find anything that seems to work for me. I am a complete noob when it comes to Linux. Majority of the fixes I found said something along the lines of going into a specific folder/text doc and edit a line, or create a new command, etc. However, I am running Live and I dont have access to creating/editing folders.
Anyone have any suggestions, it's really driving me crazy. This appears to be my last hurdle, and I would greatly appreciate any help.
There are posts in this forum that will answer your question. You should do a search to find what works best for you.

Here is something to help get you started.

For a permanent, automatic solution, see
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=127655
and
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=66534

The first of these two threads is more complicated than you will need because it talks about mounting a USB drive. A portion of that thread (editing fstab) will apply to your case of mounting an internal HDD.

For a quick manual solution, exit XBMC to the Lubuntu desktop. Launch the file manager and navigate to your HDD drive(s). The file manager will mount the drives. Then exit the file manager and restart XBMC.

EDIT: corrected URL of thread
(2012-07-17, 04:18)rkeel Wrote: [ -> ]So I was running Windows7 with xbmc (eden) and I never really had any playback problems, but I decided to give Live a try. I really like how quickly it boots up.
I am able to add shared drives on my LAN no problem, and it plays smoothly, no hiccups. My problem lies where I have 3 full 2tb HDD's in the actual HTPC that I dont see, and cant seem to gain access to. These drives are formatted in NTFS and worked just fine when I was running XBMC on Windows7.
I have done research, and cant find anything that seems to work for me. I am a complete noob when it comes to Linux. Majority of the fixes I found said something along the lines of going into a specific folder/text doc and edit a line, or create a new command, etc. However, I am running Live and I dont have access to creating/editing folders.
Anyone have any suggestions, it's really driving me crazy. This appears to be my last hurdle, and I would greatly appreciate any help.
Have the disks through AHCI, RAID or IDE?
It makes a difference for Ubuntu. At leats in some mobos.
I will try both of these tonight after work. I believe they are runnign in IDE at the moment, but I'll try other modes. If that fails, I'll try DSRL's suggestions.
Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.

On a side note, is there also a way to make those drives discoverable on my LAN to my other windows machines? Not critical, but it would be nice.
(2012-07-17, 16:50)rkeel Wrote: [ -> ]On a side note, is there also a way to make those drives discoverable on my LAN to my other windows machines? Not critical, but it would be nice.

There is a way to do it with a normal Linux installation that is very straight forward but I do not know how to do it with the minimalist installation that comes with XMBCbuntu. Others on the forum who know more than I can weigh in on this one but I suspect you have to install a service (is SAMBA automatically installed with XBMCbuntu?) and then edit the appropriate table to setup a share. If no one else answers, try a search in this forum and on the internet using terms like "linux windows network shared".