Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [Solved] Streaming iTunes AirTunes to XBMC on the same machine
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

First of all thank you for releasing AirTunes support, a feature I have been longing for.
But it doesn't work on my system. When I try to select XBMC (12.0 alpha 4) as an airplay device, I get the error message in iTunes that:

the device "XBMC (name)" in not compatible with this version of iTunes

iTunes version is 10.6.3.25
Windows 7 64 SP1
Intel Core i3 build 7601

Both iTunes and XBMC are running on a the same machine. The reason I'm doing this is that I want to use the "WASAPI exclusive" capability of XBMC while using the iTunes smart playlists and playcounts

I can run AirPlay on other devices (Airport Express) so the problem is specific to XBMC.

Here is a debug log:
http://pastebin.com/6tLKJttN

No problems with iTunes 10.6.3.25 running on osx and XBMC running on atv2 or linux. So its not a general problem. No windows box to test though.
Correction - i started my Windows 7 VM and was able to use airtunes from iTunes 10.6.3.25 without this error.
The error I get is with iTunes and XBMC running BOTH over Windows. Is that what you tested with your Windows 7 VM?
Ohhh - seems i have overlooked that. I don't get an error on this scenario - but it also doesn't work (no audio). Sry mate - AirTunes client and server have to be on different mashines (and yes during development i really tried to track the problem down - but i wasn't able to and moved along to other things).

This is an unsupported use case.
Thank you Memphiz.

I found a workaround to the incompatibilty message problem. In the XBMC AirPlay settings, I entered an empty password, and now I can select XBMC as AirPlay device in iTunes. This seems to be a password-related bug on which I previously started a separate thread:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=136347

Now once I try to play a track with XBMC AirPlay device, there is no audio and XBMC freezes, so that I have to "kill" the XBMC instance. Too bad but no surprise since it's an unsupported use case!
Memphiz, the use of AirTunes between iTunes and XBMC running on the same machine DOES actually WORK!
And I am so happy about it!
Right now I'm listening to lossless music with iTunes in WASAPI exclusive mode on the same machine, thanks to AirPlay and XBMC connecting iTunes to WASAPI exclusive. Just what I wanted!

(The reason I previously had no audio and XBMC freezing is that XBMC was set to ouptut to a Musical Fidelity V-DAC II 24bit with WASAPI. Unfortunately XBMC does not seem to support WASAPI with a 24-bit DAC: only WASAPI with a 16-bit DAC, or DirectSound with a 24-bit DAC. But anyway this is a completely different problem that has nothing to do with AirPlay and this thread, so I won't develop it here.)
Yep i figured the password protection thingy is broken for audio. But seems to work for some.
In case somebody else wants to try this fetture: to be able to stream iTunes music to XBMC on the same Windows machine, the machine must be connected to a local area metwork. If the machine is off-line, iTunes won't fine the XBMC Airplay device on the same machine.
It makes sense since AirPlay is a network service.