Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Anyone (aside from me) working on small touch screen
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi guys/gals just wondering if anyone else is actually working on skins that do proper touch screen support for tablets and phones. I was thinking there would of been a few more out by now since we did the iOS port but sadly not Sad and now that we run on android as well there will be another big user base out there who are going to want something that works nice.

So just wondering if I'm alone again (yes I know some other skins support touch like xeebo and Joggler) but as far as I know they are more big screen pc type
I'd like to but the only touch device I have is my iPhone and I can't justify forking out for an iPad just for skinning. Sad
Do you want short or a long answer Smile ?

Short answer is - I discarded the idea given the differences between 10 foot and small touch screens.

Longer answer is - I still have not given up the hope that XBMC headless server app companion will eventually be made. For me, it makes more sense to manage library in one place (no MySQL discussions, please) and serve it to all clients. With official remotes for both iOS and Android, that fit those devices like a glow, only thing missing is music and video streaming from central location. Interface could be much cleaner and you can use those apps as remotes as well. Furthermore, no need for jail breaking. You also do not need to worry about different screen sizes or platform specific stuff as they would be solved by that platform's native app.
(2012-07-19, 13:05)Hitcher Wrote: [ -> ]I'd like to but the only touch device I have is my iPhone and I can't justify forking out for an iPad just for skinning. Sad

true but a lot of people want a skin for the iPhone too and that would still work on android phones
Can't you just run XBMC in the Android emulator when developing skins if you don't have devices with the correct resolution :-)
(2012-07-19, 18:40)Flanhare Wrote: [ -> ]Can't you just run XBMC in the Android emulator when developing skins if you don't have devices with the correct resolution :-)

pretty sure xbmc won't run I'm the emulator and beside that doing it on the big screen is not really the same as being able too actually test it on the device
(2012-07-19, 13:40)Jezz_X Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-07-19, 13:05)Hitcher Wrote: [ -> ]I'd like to but the only touch device I have is my iPhone and I can't justify forking out for an iPad just for skinning. Sad

true but a lot of people want a skin for the iPhone too and that would still work on android phones

Do people really use an iPhone to watch stuff though? I tried but it was just too small for me to bother with.
Some do yeah I think it's more about filling in time while your traveling on the train or sitting in a car I know at least 2 team members do. I also watch stuff on my android phone at work some times but it's got a 4.65 inch screen
If I jailbreak my iphone again how do I get access to the skin?
(2012-07-20, 20:23)Hitcher Wrote: [ -> ]Do people really use an iPhone to watch stuff though? I tried but it was just too small for me to bother with.

I see a lot of peoples in public transportation that uses their iPhone to watch stuffs. Though, not my taste, I prefer to read than look at such a small screen.

(2012-07-20, 20:50)Hitcher Wrote: [ -> ]If I jailbreak my iphone again how do I get access to the skin?

I also installed openssh on my ipad then you just ftp in and copy the files you change using a ftp browser to the right directory.
But really if you have not bothered to jailbreak your iphone yet I wouldn't bother unless you really want too its not worth it just for a xbmc skin when you probably wont even use it yourself
(2012-07-20, 20:50)Hitcher Wrote: [ -> ]If I jailbreak my iphone again how do I get access to the skin?

You can use winscp (pretty much as in TotalCommander) to copy from Windows to iPhone. But I assume you would develop on pc with a mouse and only test on a device.

I'm very, very curious how you will solve the dialogs.

We are never alone when we need to be.
While I have just turned my focus on to XBMC I have found a interesting group of coders,
doing what they are interested in.
Focusing on what the world needs is a great and endless study of the human condition
in any age,let alone our current convergence of tek.
TV /NET/News/International /National/Local/All the diciplines /Medical and the Muses

So what is it that we have studied about what is happening to people confronted with the future.

They need assistance to move to where we are, while we ( those developing) travel relentlessly into the future.

Best we do, as in this forum chat/ discuss/ exchange what we have learnt and learn what we are taught.

Besides all that G'Day group.

nightvision aka peter

Thanx for your work Jez

(2012-07-25, 10:16)nightvision Wrote: [ -> ]We are never alone when we need to be.
While I have just turned my focus on to XBMC I have found a interesting group of coders,
doing what they are interested in.
Focusing on what the world needs is a great and endless study of the human condition
in any age,let alone our current convergence of tek.
TV /NET/News/International /National/Local/All the diciplines /Medical and the Muses

So what is it that we have studied about what is happening to people confronted with the future.

They need assistance to move to where we are, while we ( those developing) travel relentlessly into the future.

Best we do, as in this forum chat/ discuss/ exchange what we have learnt and learn what we are taught.

Besides all that G'Day group.

nightvision aka peter

Thanx for your work Jez

Blimey... that just brought a tear to my eye! Wink Lovely words... Smile
Bit of shameless self plugging here I've decided to be a little bit more out in the open about stuff I do so I have started posting stuff on Google+ (my first social network experience ever screw you face book) so if you want to see what I'm up too including 2 posts about a touch screen skin I'm working on go and..

Check me out on Google+

And if any other skin developers are doing the same on G+ hook me up so I can see what your up too

P.S I will be posting non xbmc stuff from time to time too but not lots
Pages: 1 2 3