Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: MKV playback in XBMC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In XBMC, I'm getting a lot of blockiness in MKV files. It seems to occur a lot in scene changes, where the scene will become unwatchable until the next camera angle change, at which point it will go back to normal, and then as you watch it will turn to blocks again. With Shark 007 codecs installed, the same files play perfectly in Windows Media Player. I've tried different settings in XBMC regarding DXVA and synch resolution, but nothing is helping so far. This is occurring on multiple systems in exactly the same places in the files, playing the files from a share over the network, one wired, one wireless. What areas should I be looking at for getting this working?

Thank you!

KevPriest
To start, I would imagine that we would need your system specs (CPU/GPU/etc) and then I would also imagine you should post a full debug log of you trying to play a file (search the forums on how to obtain and post a debug log)

Just from a pure novice standpoint, it sounds like your system is having trouble keeping up with playing the mkv files. maybe you should also give some more info on the type of mkv file (x264 720p, etc)
Here's a log, trying to play a file from local disk: Log

Here's a screenshot:

CPU is an i3 2310, in this case, running the HD3000 on board graphics.

The same file plays just fine running Windows Media Player using the Shark 007 codec packs. CPU maxes somewhere in the 20% range. I copied a file down from the network to eliminate that variable, but no difference. This file is in 720p.

I'm guessing something is not configured correctly for playback in XBMC, but I'm not sure where to look. I haven't changed anything yet.
(2012-07-22, 20:36)kevpriest Wrote: [ -> ]CPU is an i3 2310, in this case, running the HD3000 on board graphics.
Try as below-

1. Install the latest Intel driver- Check your system for the latest updates
2. Install- Intel Management Engine Interface Driver]Intel Magagement Engine Interface Driver
3. Disable DXVA2 and everything else in XBMC settings/video/playback

I uninstalled the Acer provided version of the Intel video card and installed the generic Intel version, tried and saw no difference.

However, I then disabled DXVA and everything else and got a good picture. I had tried forcing DXVA on and off previously and not seen a difference. I'll experiment now and see if part of the "everything else" made the difference.

Thank you!
I have a Corei3 with HD 3000. I can enable anything elses without issues. Only having "Allow Hardware Acceleration (DXVA2)" on causes those rendering issues.
(2012-07-22, 22:53)kevpriest Wrote: [ -> ]I uninstalled the Acer provided version of the Intel video card and installed the generic Intel version, tried and saw no difference.

However, I then disabled DXVA and everything else and got a good picture. I had tried forcing DXVA on and off previously and not seen a difference. I'll experiment now and see if part of the "everything else" made the difference.

Thank you!
XBMC don't play nice w/ Intel+DXVA.....since Intel CPU is strong enough, you don't need DXVA....

I'm glad that you got good PQ now.....Nod

(2012-07-23, 00:08)kricker Wrote: [ -> ]I have a Corei3 with HD 3000. I can enable anything elses without issues. Only having "Allow Hardware Acceleration (DXVA2)" on causes those rendering issues.
Hopefully, someday XBMC can fix this issue.....