Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMCLauncher / Launcher4Kodi - All in One Tool for Change Shell, Set Focus and more
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I didn't want to use the shell, but if its the only way to get it working as it should I will.

The only thing is in that case: can I easily switch back?
It seems like a bug in Win8 to me. (or wanted behavior by ms?) If you add a random program in the startup folder in the 'start menu' it starts behind the metro ui start menu.
I encountered the same problem...

There's a setting in the launcher that it starts explorer automatically after xbmc quits.
I havn't tested it but you can also try to set xbmc as shell and start explorer as a startup program.
(2013-02-17, 09:23)Mars Wrote: [ -> ]I didn't want to use the shell, but if its the only way to get it working as it should I will.

The only thing is in that case: can I easily switch back?

You can get back to windows when you close xbmc. For this enable the features start explorer and metro ui when xbmc is closed.
Well, this works! or not actually...

When I start the computer, XBMC starts. Suspend and sleep also work.

But I lost my Films and TV shows, as if XBMC isn't using the profile folder...
I also - might be the real problem - database errors: Can't connect to MySql server (10051).

So, YES XBMC starts, but it isn't of any use without my movies...
(2013-02-17, 17:41)Mars Wrote: [ -> ]Well, this works! or not actually...

I also - might be the real problem - database errors: Can't connect to MySql server (10051).

I just installed this app, and had the same problems. Edit your advancedsettings.xml file. It's edited during install of the app.

All I can say is WOW! My setup really sees the difference not having the explorer shell running.
I wish I could speed up the initial movies library display more (6,000+), but this app offered the best speed improvement yet.

Thank you!
My advancedsettings file doesn't seem to be modified since yesterday.
Still contains the correct mysql settings.

Try the solution posted by 'Laserray'. You can also try by adding explorer.exe as an apllication to launch with startup. Also uncheck the option to start xbmc in portable mode if you have enabled it.

(2013-02-17, 17:55)Laserray Wrote: [ -> ]

I just installed this app, and had the same problems. Edit your advancedsettings.xml file. It's edited during install of the app.

All I can say is WOW! My setup really sees the difference not having the explorer shell running.
I wish I could speed up the initial movies library display more (6,000+), but this app offered the best speed improvement yet.

Thank you!

advancedsetings.xml is replaced only if you selected it during the installation. Even then a backup of the old one is kept.
The only checkboxes I have checked are:
  • Start xbmc when windows starts
  • Start xbmc when windows resumes from sleep
  • Start windows explorer when xbmc is closed
  • Start windows8 metro ui when xbmc is closed

This all does work.

However. Restarting does start xbmc, but no movies.
If I then stop xbmc - return to metro ui - and start xbmc from metro, everything works!

The option to also start explorer starts metro in front of xbmc, ie doesnt work!

Note:
With no movies I mean that:
  • No film entry in the main menu
  • No tv show entry in the main menu
  • (I can access the folders through the video files)
  • At startup, no rescan of the movies and tv shows

As if those two defined videos dont exist!
Are you using the database in a network? Probably the network adapter needs to be initialized. Add a small delay to the startup of xbmc to ensure that the network adapters are initialized before xbmc starts.
Yes, my database is running on my Windows 2011 homeserver.

With the addition of a 5 second startup delay, everything seems to work right now!

Thanx for all the help & maybe something to put in the OP / TS.
Thanks for the tool. Is there currently a way of installing short of modifying the MCE Remote registry table to alter which button presses issue which commands? I've already made a few manual edits that I'd like to keep, while allowing the bulk to remain at their default values. I'd just as soon not have such drastic changes to that table if possible.

I see that you can avoid changing the keboard.xml by keeping its box unchecked at install, but I'm not sure if this also applies to the reg edit for the MCE remote as well.

I would simply like to use this application to keep XBMC in focus. Thanks!
There is option to uncheck mce remote installation if you don't want it. It is in the third page of the installer. You can also create your own personal mce keycodes and keymap file and create a new installer for future use.
Great, you beat me to it. I saw that and was going to edit my post. Thanks.

One quick question further. I'd like to be able to run the 3rd party apps and/or scripts that you can specify in the settings with each start of XMBC. However, it seems this can only be done at each start of XMBC_Launcher. I've also noticed that XBMC.exe doesn't start when XBMC_Launcher starts. Is that by default? I've simply added XBMC.exe as one of the startup apps with XBMC_Launcher.

So, my question is: Is there a way to stop/quit XBMC_Launcher from XBMC's shutdown dialog, so that the next time I wish to run XBMC, I simply start XBMC_Launcher instead (along with specified apps). (Simply attempting to execute XBMC_Launcher while its already running in the system tray doesn't re-excecute XBMC and the other apps.)
Quote:I'd like to be able to run the 3rd party apps and/or scripts that you can specify in the settings with each start of XMBC. However, it seems this can only be done at each start of XMBC_Launcher.

The third party apps are started only when xbmclauncher is starting. If you want to start the apps with xbmc, you need to edit the script.

Quote:I've also noticed that XBMC.exe doesn't start when XBMC_Launcher starts. Is that by default? I've simply added XBMC.exe as one of the startup apps with XBMC_Launcher.

There is no need to add xbmc to the autostart list. Use the dedicated menu 'Set XBMC Path'. The application can automatically guess xbmc location in your programs folder, but if you have installed xbmc in some other folder then use this menu to select the xbmc path. XBMC should start automatically whenever the launcher starts. For this enable the option 'Start XBMC when Windows starts'. If you want xbmc to start when resuming from sleep then enable 'Start XBMC when Windows resumes from sleep'.

Quote:Is there a way to stop/quit XBMC_Launcher from XBMC's shutdown dialog, so that the next time I wish to run XBMC, I simply start XBMC_Launcher instead (along with specified apps). (Simply attempting to execute XBMC_Launcher while its already running in the system tray doesn't re-excecute XBMC and the other apps.)

XBMCLauncher is designed to run in the background to monitor xbmc and to launch it using the mce green button and also to start xbmc when resuming from sleep. But if you want to exit xbmclauncher when xbmc exits, edit the xbmclauncher.ahk script file and add a command 'ExitApp'. For this add a new function ExitXBMCLauncher() under the line 'MonitorEvents:' and define the function as

Code:
ExitXBMCLauncher()
{    
    Process, Exist, xbmc.exe ; check to see if xbmc.exe is running
            If (ErrorLevel = 0) ;if not running
            ExitApp ; close app.
}
Two questions:

1) Is it possible to install XBMCLauncher only for a specific user account or at least have user account specific configuration? Specifically, when I login as Admin on my computer, I don't want XBMC to start as shell but just the normal Windows Explorer. For a separate user account called "XBMC" on the other hand, I want it to launch XBMC as shell, and I will configure Windows to log into that user account automatically upon startup.

2) Where can I find the feature to make XBMC display a shutdown menu that has options like "Shutdown XBMC", "Shutdown Machine", etc.?