Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Question about subtitles
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

So I was watching Kill Bill last night from a download but I was having problems with the subtitles.

When Chinese was being spoken I had to manually turn on subtitles. I know its only pressing "t" but its annoying. I dont want the subtitles on all the time but only when the language changes from English to something foreign.

The same thing happened in The Planet of the Apes when the chimps were talking.

Is there anyway to combat this as it brings everything down a level when I have to grab my remote and turn on and off subtiltes as needed.

Any help appreciated, thanks
You need to extract the correct subtitle track from the source video. Generally there are 2 english tracks. One with all the dialogue, and one with only the foreign dialogue. There is no way for XBMC to know what language is being spoken at any given time, and then turn the subs on and off accordingly.
As Sureguy says, then remux the file and set the correct subtitle stream as 'forced'.
(2012-07-24, 21:13)steelman1991 Wrote: [ -> ]As Sureguy says, then remux the file and set the correct subtitle stream as 'forced'.

How do I do that exactly?.

Thanks for your replies
On the basis that you don't have the original - you can search for subtitle streams - google is your friend. Once you have the correct subtitle stream, you can use mkvmerge, which is part of the mkvtoolnix package to add (mux) the subtitle stream to the file.

I've made an assumption that the file you actually have is in mkv format.

Yes its mkv. Thanks for spoon feeding me on how to do it steelman1991.