Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Hardware accelerated decode wont disable
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,
I have a bit of a strange problem, I've gone through the faqs and wiki and haven't found anything.

In order to reduce fan noise in my htpc I've unplugged the fan from my video card. After applying a new coat of thermal paste (it has an aftermarket cooler) and carefully watching the temps, all is good, as long as the card is idle.

my HTPC also has a quad core Q6600 so software rendering shouldn't be a problem.

I've set rendering to software under system settings, I've even run xbmc in XP compatibility mode, but whenever I run a video and hit O it still shows vcpu load instead of CPU load. This is confirmed in catalyst control center as having load on the GPU, which is spiking up heat into dangerous territory on the card. I'd rather run things off the CPU, which is much cooler and quieter.

I can't seem to get XBMC to comply. Any ideas on how I can solve this in software? It's an old PC and I don't want to put any more money into it (buying a new video card, cooler etc)
Rendering is not HW decode. Even if you Render in Software the GL part of the GPU has to draw each texture (read each frame of the movie) to the screen. So at least that load you can't get rid of.

The HW decode is turned off by unpicking DXVA2.