Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Pivos Xios DS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26
http://www.pivosgroup.com/xios.html
Yes this is the little android box that could. Could run xbmc with hardware accelration that is.
XBMC on this platform is still in alpha so keep that in mind. You can find these unofficial hw accelerated builds here.
I picked mine up on Amazon for ~115.00. (US)

Some initial observations. I've had the unit for about 2 days now.

Update to ICS. You need and want it. Netflix is broken on ICS. (for now)
This little thing gets hot. I understand since there are no fans and silence is golden.
Enable your ethernet. I don't bother with wifi for hd video so I cannot comment on it's performance.
You will need a mouse and keyboard to get things going intially.
The included remote is okay. It's IR though which I think is silly.
The 3 lights on the front are bright. Good thing it's small and will be hidden.
No bluetooth. No bueno for me as I planned on adding a bluetooth gamepad. Hopefully they'll add usb bluetooth support soon, I don't see bluetooth settings.

So far xbmc on this thing is certainly in alpha but it works. It's unfair for anyone to judge it based on this. Report bugs/issues you have my amigos.

Plays all the local files I have streaming to it using smb. (Unraid) H.264 encoded stuff mainly. Some mpeg2 + 4. I will keep on testing this. I know you want details.
Some of the video plugins work. Some not so much. There are still some buffering issues that need to be resolved.
Take note that I'm using only analog stereo output right now. Haven't bothered with DD or DTS. I don't think it's enabled anyways. I'm testing on a 27 inch monitor with hdmi.
Keyboard input is wonky. I've had to use the xbmc android remote to configure a couple things.
Time zone settings are not working right now.
Using default skin there is only a little lag. And occasionaly some delayed response. Good for an alpha really.
Once it finished scanning my sizable library it was more responsive. This has happened to me on much more powerful machines so eh.
The remote works out the box with xbmc as it should.

Again XBMC on this is still Alpha. So it can only get better. Support those companies that support xbmc.
I have one question about this box.
In the Netherlands more and more tv channels are switching to 1080i mpeg4.
So will this box be able to play those 15mb 1080i mpeg4 (H264) streams at a more smoother way than ion2 does?
Ion2 gives me a cristal sharp picture, but it's horrible when there's much movement (like a soccer match).
Johnnygo: You probably need to enable deinterlacing in video settings to fix the choppiness. And yes the pivos supports hardware h.264 decode @ 15mb+ - shouldn't be a problem. (though the ION2 is much faster and has much better support at the moment)
Deinterlacing is enabled. But ION2 can only do half deinterlacing for these streams. With full I get dropped frames. So it will output 25hz. With full deinterlacing you get the full 50hz.
But if these boxes are less powerfull on video precessing, than I think that isn't the way to go for me.
can some1 tell me how much Bitrate is supported?
Is it possible to play mkv files with 30-40MBit/s?
how can i get the xios in germanyHuh amazon does not ship computer hardware to germany!!!
I'm seriously considering getting one of these. I'm running XBMC on the ATV1 and am ready to move to something that plays 1080p.

My question is, how does it handle VC1 @ 1080p? Is that HW accelerated too? Also wondering if it has enough grunt to decode a True HD track to LPCM as well? That isn't too much of an issue if it doesn't, and I will decode my rips to PCM to compensate if needed. VC1 is important for me though as I'm going through the process of ripping all my HD-DVDs, VC1 being the more common format on them, and I want to play direct rips at their original quality with no re-encoding.
(2012-08-12, 22:46)DeeDub Wrote: [ -> ]I'm seriously considering getting one of these. I'm running XBMC on the ATV1 and am ready to move to something that plays 1080p.

My question is, how does it handle VC1 @ 1080p? Is that HW accelerated too? Also wondering if it has enough grunt to decode a True HD track to LPCM as well? That isn't too much of an issue if it doesn't, and I will decode my rips to PCM to compensate if needed. VC1 is important for me though as I'm going through the process of ripping all my HD-DVDs, VC1 being the more common format on them, and I want to play direct rips at their original quality with no re-encoding.

You should add a Broadcom Crystal HD (wiki) card and install Crystalbuntu (wiki). My ATV1 can handle (and output in full 1080) VC-1 just fine with those two modifications.
(2012-08-12, 22:46)DeeDub Wrote: [ -> ]I'm seriously considering getting one of these. I'm running XBMC on the ATV1 and am ready to move to something that plays 1080p.

I'm no expert, but my understanding is that the Xios running Android maxes out at 13 Mbps for video streams, but that the upcoming Linux XBMC for the Xios is much further along in development, and has the headroom to run full rips. Aasoror or Davilla can correct me if I'm wrong.
I just bought one cant wait to try it out in the bedroom.
This is a sweet little bedroom box for the price. Its working perfect with the linux beta version installed.
(2012-09-07, 07:38)tsiroadkill Wrote: [ -> ]I just bought one cant wait to try it out in the bedroom.

^^ That's what she said! ^^

But ditto, itchy to try this out as well.
(2012-09-17, 13:00)joebrady Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-09-07, 07:38)tsiroadkill Wrote: [ -> ]I just bought one cant wait to try it out in the bedroom.

^^ That's what she said! ^^

But ditto, itchy to try this out as well.

Does this thing run on batteries too? Big Grin
(2012-08-02, 11:51)m.bluemle Wrote: [ -> ]how can i get the xios in germanyHuh amazon does not ship computer hardware to germany!!!

There is currently a Pivos Xios on ebay Germany from someone Wink who has imported two from the USA.
Delivery is to Europe.
(2012-09-17, 03:28)tsiroadkill Wrote: [ -> ]This is a sweet little bedroom box for the price. Its working perfect with the linux beta version installed.

Does CEC work in the latest linux?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26