Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Is XBMC + Ubuntu + Zotac capable of advertising?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, I want to setup a TV to play ads all day long at my business (in the lobby). I bought a Zotac HTPC and I'm looking into using Ubuntu with XBMC to constantly run these ads. I've done a little reading on the wiki, website, and forums but I can't figure out conclusively what I may need or if this setup will be capable of doing what I want. I've looked into playlists and I think FTP'ing the videos/images to the box should be no problem, so I think all will be perfect. However, I have a few requirements/questions that I'll list below if you'd be so kind as to provide answers and verification to. I need:

•Video ads running seamlessly all day
•Mixture of images and ads simultaneously
•Playlist/video updating automatically (I can setup the FTP to push videos and playlists to the box I'm sure)

Thanks in advance! Any suggestions are much appreciated as well.
I think something very light weight like Media Player classic or VLC (not as light) would be a much better program for what you plan on using for. I'm sure XBMC is capable of doing it, and I'm sure someone can give a definitive answer, but I've used MPC for the same type of thing. Works perfectly for me
The biggest issue there is updating the playlist as with most if not all systems a playlist is loaded once then held in memory.
You may be better off with that is called 'digital signage' products which are designed for this.
Here's an example of a vendor who provides digital signage solutions: http://www.logicsupply.com/applications/digital_signage

I have no affiliation with the company, but I have purchased mini-ITX products from them for personal use and I recalled that they offered digital signage products as well.
Everything except the live-updating of the playlist is possible. What you would do is set it up as a slide show in Pictures with "movies in pictures" enabled.
Thank you all very much for the replies. How about if, for the playlist updating, I push the new playlist to the box and then have a script that tells Xbmc to refresh its playlist (or even restart the application with the new playlist running, if that's manageable)?
I am not opposed to getting something more custom tailored to my needs of I have to but I also want to keep my costs down.