Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Backup Ubuntu Partition
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey Everyone!

I have my XBMC installation just the way I like it. I have a ton of packages installed and configured exactly the way I want them. How do I back everything up. Ideally I want to make copy of a partition that is easily accessible and can be easily restored. I'm using 12.04 Precise 64bit and drive is formatted with EXT4. Thanks for the advice!
Clonezilla.org
Or just copy /home/<username>. That should have the .xbmc directory where everything is stored.
+1 for clonezilla
linux dd command.
Code:
sudo dd if=(drive to be backed up) of=(destination drive)

This will make a bit perfect, bootable clone of the drive, without having to use other tools such as clonezilla. I think you will have to boot off of another source though, such as a live CD/USB.
One easy way would be to use GParted LiveCD. After booting just copy/paste your existing partitions with GParted.
Hi,

Many solutions, i would advise a live system (USB) and using partclone to clone your partition image to a single file anywhere you want. (you event can gzip it to require less space)

You can even use tar to backup your system...

The solution i choosed is a mixed of that, in my system i have 2 system partitions where the second is a replication of the first.
That case, when i want to update my system or applications, i still can easily boot to the second version and get back the N-1 version, and finally if required restore the first system to its old state.
Having 2 systems allows to easily backup and restore each other without having to boot a live...

See: http://youresuchageek.blogspot.fr/2012/0...ctive.html