Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Share an existing folder in XBMCbuntu?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have recently installed XBMCbuntu, which works fine (running off a USB stick) but I also have a separate hard disk in the machine which was previously used in a "XBMC in Windows" setup, so it is formatted as NTFS and this drive contains my data which my current XBMCbuntu mounts/uses.

Now, I would like to still use the same drive to backup data from my other PC (as I use to do when XBMC was running in windows) but now the drive is mounted under XBMCbuntu it is proving more difficult.

I have been looking in here and found how to access the XBMCbuntu machine, which works apart from when I browse the machine, nothing is displayed? I have also found how to create shares within XBMCbuntu but this seems to be when creating new folders at the same time. Is there a way of sharing an existing folder on the hard drive so I can access it from my Windows 7 PC as I already have the folders/data in place?

I have also been able to SFTP to the XBMCbuntu machine where I can then see folders but they are the folders of the running XBMCbuntu machine and I couldn't work out if it's possible to access the other hard drive via this method?

Worst case I can just remove the USB stick so the machine boots to the previous windows OS, copy the required data to the disk, then shut it down, plug the USB back in and boot back to XBMCbuntu but this seems a bit long winded and would be nice if I can access the drive while mounted in XBMC.
You'll need to mount the drive, and then share the relevant location with SMB. The way I have done it is to mount my Movie / TV show hard drives to "/mnt/drivename" then used a symlink to point to "/home/xbmc/TV Shows" and "/home/xbmc/Movies".

Even though the drives might be visible to XBMC, in order to browse them with your windows PC, you'll need to mount them in Ubuntu.

See the Ubuntu documentation for more info: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Automa...Partitions